Sharing the FN 1900 Database

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
81police

Sharing the FN 1900 Database

Post by 81police »

Fellas, I'd love some feedback on this idea...

I've kept a database of FN 1900 rifles for over 10 years. This includes (in most cases) photos of the rifle, serial number, and county of location.

I'd love any suggestions on how to make that available to view here. I'm wondering if revisiting the Gallery page, completely redoing it but making an FN folder with subfolders of each serial number. If this was doable, I might be able to do the same for all high grade 81's, like the D, E, and F grades.

I'm open to suggestions!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Re: Sharing the FN 1900 Database

Post by Roger »

Hey Cameron, I’m completely computer illiterate. But my youngest son is an IT professional in Kansas City,and he might be able to give you a few pieces of advice. I would have to ask him. But I personally think it would be a great idea,even though I don’t have any idea where to start,lol.
Let me know what you think.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

I am all for it but like Roger I am computer illiterate other than forums and gunbroker !! I hope you get it done. John Taylor
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

I definitely welcome the idea of having that data viewable. Your work keeping records, maintaining page issues and the like are appreciated!

As Roger and John have said, I'm not tech savvy/have knowledge on what would work best.

I like your idea for the FN's within the gallery page. I'm unsure if having a sub folder for each serial number is best unless that would only be for those rifles with photos.

I understand posting this data like a spreadsheet would be kind of plain "i.m.o" I welcome the data no matter how its delivered. Regardless I strongly believe that all members will enjoy seeing these details. If the gallery page isn't' used- perhaps an additional group on the right of the home page titled something along the lines of "serial number database."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Cam I try to stay out of online access programming, but. I know Access would probably be better for photo display. However I also know MS products are not as multi platform friendly as others. That said I'm not the best to involve in web page design. I suggest some of the open source "office" apps could be a good option.
Then there's the learning curve, AS I have no knowledge of your site platform I can't really make too much comment.
Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
ranman

Post by ranman »

Very good idea, but I also fit in with the not so savvy computer realm
canuck

Post by canuck »

Love the idea Cam, how have you got it stored now ? Could it just be shared somehow?
Maybe a photohost service?
Whatever you end up doing I suspect it will be a lot of work, I'll let you know up front that I appreciate it!
81police

Post by 81police »

I have the photos in folders on my hard drive. I have all the serial numbers in an Excel file. In total, the whole thing is about 1 GB. 150+ rifles w/ photos of nearly all of them.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator