Model 8 Rear sight

New Member Introductions
SilverStetson

Model 8 Rear sight

Post by SilverStetson »

I have a model 8 , 30 Rem produced in 1929 (X). Has a Marbles peep sight. I would like to find an original rear sight, my question is I see different styles of sights, some have a small screw on the sight, some don’t , some have a patient date, some don’t. Did Remington make factory sights or where they produced by Marbles? I often wonder how many rear sights ended up in a gun shops junk drawer.
I understand the rear sight was removed due to the peep, I’d like to have one to complete the Rifle. Thanks for you input. Troy
Hibby83

Re: Model 8 Rear sight

Post by Hibby83 »

Good evening, Troy.

I certainly understand wanting to make your rifle complete. Having a factory rear sight on hand for it is a great idea. I must add having a correct sight blank in place of the rear sight also looks very nice. The old sight blanks can be hard to come by, I've noticed there's some on ebay that are new production.

One of my Model 8's with a peep sight has a modified factory rear sight that had been cut and profiled into a sight blank "looks professional." I imagine there's quite a few 8/81 sights that have been sitting in drawers/bins in homes & gun shops that may not see the light of day for a long time.

The earliest Model 8's "the autoloading rifles" came with the rear sight that had the patent date. You certainly don't need one of those considering your date of manufacture. If I'm not mistaken it was only the first 4-8(?) years that they would have come on.

The majority of Model 8's had no "micro adjust" screw, that came later in production. I feel that you can't go wrong using one with or without the micro adjust screw.

I strongly believe that Remington did make their own sights. You certainly could order special sights for your rifle, you won't know for sure if a rifle had special order sights short of an order form from way back.

Good luck in your search.

P.S- if you're able to, post up a few pictures of the Model 8.
SilverStetson

Post by SilverStetson »

Hibby83 thank you for the information, learned something new , micro adjust screw, didn’t know what that was for, now I do. I’ll keep looking now that I know what I’m looking for. There was a sight on eBay, complete, screws and elevator, spendy.
I’ll try to post some pictures of the 30 Rem and my 35 Rem.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

SilverStetson wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:13 pm Hibby83 thank you for the information, learned something new , micro adjust screw, didn’t know what that was for, now I do. I’ll keep looking now that I know what I’m looking for. There was a sight on eBay, complete, screws and elevator, spendy.
I’ll try to post some pictures of the 30 Rem and my 35 Rem.
You’re welcome. I’m no expert, this website and literature helps a lot finding out info on these rifles.

Don’t quote me on the term.ha. I may have read that somewhere or combined rear sight terms myself?? Personally, I’m not sure the little screw does much for elevation. It seems the example that I have, only turned approximately 1/3-1/2 a turn, perhaps that’s all it’s supposed to? Maybe I’m completely wrong, and it’s purpose is more along the lines of keeping the elevator in place ¿

Look forward to seeing it.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Guys the screw in the "Rem" sight is a fine adjustment, for longer range. BUT, ya gotta lift the leaf a little for it to turn. It's GROOVED on the bottom. (YEah :geek: :ugeek: that's right so it don't turn till the leaf is lifted) Those sights let us fine tune the zero, then use the elevator for range shots. :arrow:
Another one I like is the Williams fold down.( a Remington option) It's got a windage screw in the hinge, the short base fits the barrel sleeve like the factory. Remember there are bases for the Williams that the screw holes are too small for the barrel sleeve. Pay attention. Plus if you check :idea: there are allen screws that fit the barrel sleeve,
Phyrbird
SOKY