MinnesotaDan Buck

Hunting pictures of your Remington Autoloader
81police

MinnesotaDan Buck

Post by 81police »

Fellas, posting this for MinnesotaDan...I'll let him give y'all all the details!
Attachments
Me and deer.jpg
Me and deer.jpg (289.98 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
MinnesotaDan

Re: MinnesotaDan Buck

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Thanks, Cam for posting this photo for me as I was having trouble.

While hunting with my brother and friends, I shot this little spike buck in Iowa last month with this 101 year old Model 8. It is in 35 Remington, (as legal caliber in Iowa is 35 cal or larger). I was using a 200 gr. Hawk bullet over some 4064. It was a thrill to get this excellent rifle back in the woods for it's intended purpose. It did it's job, the little buck did not go far!

At any rate, it was not a trophy, but I felt I should post a photo as it has been awhile since anyone posted a photo of an 8 or 81 and game taken with it.
54bullseye

Post by 54bullseye »

Nice job Dan !! It's great you got it with a model 8 !! Congratulations. John Taylor
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Very nice, congratulations on your deer. I've heard good things about Hawk bullets, haven't picked any up since I have ample stock of Interlocks. I think Hawk is the only one's making a true round nose .321 jacketed bullet these days?

Eventually I need to venture out of Pennsylvania to a state that's sem-auto friendly for big game.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Thanks, John and Luke!

Hibby, if you ever want to venture out to Minnesota to chase whitetails, let me know. There are not a lot of deer north of the Twin Cities right now, but up there, Minnesota will allow you to hunt with any of the Model 8/81 chamberings. I was fortunate enough to get a nice seven pointer this year. I had the Model 8 out, but ended up having a 336 Marlin in my hands when I got him. I had sighted it for the same 200 gr. Hawk bullet and 4064 load.

Yep, Hawk bullet makes a round nose bullet for specifically for 32 Remington.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Thank you! I'll certainly keep that in mind and contact you if so. Three years ago i spent 5 weeks in Minnesota at Camp Ripley "January into February," It's close to Brainerd

I imagine that you're familiar with a big gun shop I went to while I was there? It's called Boone's Fine Guns.

Congratulations on your 7 point!
Roger

Post by Roger »

Congratulations Dan,
Just take a minute to interject on this subject. Being from Iowa, we are glad that our legislators finally gave up the shotgun only laws here. They haven’t made any sense here for many years. It’s legal to hunt coyotes 24 hrs a day,365 days a year here in Iowa, with any gun that you want to use. This is in the same exact fields and timbers as the deer live in . So finally a few years ago,we got a few straight wall cartridges that were legal. In southern Iowa a few years back, they gave us the bonus anterless season with hi powers legal. I hunted that season for the 8 years that it was available. So it’s nice that we are finally allowing at least a few more rifle calibers to use. It’s interesting to note, that people have always been killed during the shotgun seasons. But not one death was ever reported during the late doe high power season. Just saying.
Sorry I stole your post Dan, congrats again on a successful hunt.
Just the ramblings of a retired carpenter
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Thanks Roger. Your "ramblings" are very insightful.

I have thought it interesting that under Iowa law, it would not be legal to shoot a deer during the regular gun season with a 30 Remington, but it would to use a 35 Whelan, or even 50 BMG. It makes no sense to me.

30 or 32 Remington would seem to be perfect chamberings to accomplish what the Iowa DNR is trying to accomplish.

At any rate, 35 Remington gets it done within the scope of the law.
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Tucsontony wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:38 am Meat in the freezer. Way to go Dan ! You look a lot like the Dan that purchased my Dad’s place up by Deer River. I still own 6 acres of woodland there. Hey Luke if ya read this. Camp Ripley is a spot we used to Bow hunt back in the mid 70’s. I also worked out there on the HVAC equipment. Set a 6 foot ladder on a Tank turret once to reach a ventilation unit. The guys working on it let me check out the inside and sit in the cockpit.
Hey Tony. That's pretty cool you got to hunt the property there and work around the tanks. Did you guys see much deer? I imagine it was the Patton tank, or possibly the M1 Abrams?

I didn't travel around the base that much, too cold to enjoy it and a lot of my evenings were in front of a computer doing school assignments. I just turned 21 years of service last November.
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Hey Tony,

I just drove by Camp Ripley today, coming back from our place up by Longville.

The Minnesota buck that I got this year was out of Moose Willow WMA. I got him with a 35 Remington out of a Marlin 336.

We usually hunt on the east side of Leech Lake, but I decided to take a different approach this year as we have not had much luck at Leech the last few years.