POE rifle and the missing Mag

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Oliver

POE rifle and the missing Mag

Post by Oliver »

Hiya from Germany,

I want to buy a Remington 81 a gunsmith is selling. It is a POE rifle and did its service at the Sheriff Dept. Los Angeles County. It is in a brilliant condition, but there is one problem!

Because Germany has banned all high cap magazines over 10 rounds in 2021, the owner has given the 15-round magazine to the authorities. You could hold mags with a higher capacity, but you need an exemption Sadly, I have to say it is near sure, they have destroyed the magazine with other ones.... I know it is unbelievable, but at the moment many things are in a wrong way in Germany.

So, I'm looking for possibilities. I know there was a small charge of POE mags with 10 rounds. But, I know it is nearly impossible to get one.
That is why I thought of if the Krieger ones or a standard magazine would fix in this rifle. I'm no gun smith, so I don't know if the mechanic would work with such a standard magazine, nor if it would hold in the mag chamber or if it is changeable without the removed mag button the POE's have.

Another point is rebuilding a mag. Sounds crazy, but sometimes I'm a guy who gets what I want, does not matter if it is economically viable or not. I have contact to official gun makers, it would be possible to rebuild a "new" mag, but for such a project I need original plans to do that.

Last possibility is buying a POE mag, if somebody, or an auction sells one. I have a cousin in Pennsylvania, so the mag could stay there and I order a exemption at the authorities, to own such a mag for the rifle.

Would be great to start a discussion here at the forum, to see what you all think about and if there is a possibility to find a solution for my problem!

Thank you all!

Oliver
Oliver

Re: POE rifle and the missing Mag

Post by Oliver »

Tucsontony wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:01 pm So you have a single shot semi auto rifle. I.M.O. Put a few rounds thru it and see how good it shoots before ya do anything.
You are right. At the moment it is a "single-shot" rifle.

Hope to get a few more answers about to find a solution for my problem.

I'm sure hard to finde somebody who sell a mag. I think it would be worth to rebuild one, because they are by far more rare in Germany or Europe.
Ok, rebuilding a mag would cost the money an original mag is worth....but I can handle this task.

So, does anybody knows where to get patent or drawings of the 15-shot mags?

Thank you all!
81police

Post by 81police »

Hi Oliver, thanks for the additional details. The info we have available is mostly sales and inter-company data. Not dimensional data or drawings. The magazines are very valuable here even if they can be found by themselves (which is rare enough). Sometimes the magazines sell $1500-2500 alone. The 10 round POE magazines are even more rare.

If you wanted a functional, magazine fed rifle, one suggestion would be to find a standard Remington Model 81 magazine and attempt to fit it to the rifle as a standard (non detachable) magazine.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Oliver, I private messaged you a link that would help you out.

Edit- This is TIME SENSITIVE! The auction ends in 6 days.
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Thank you very much gentlemen for your answers and suggestions.

I want to see what is possible to do or to get and will keep in touch with this outstanding community.

Seems to be the right forum to share my interest this Remington rifle.

Oliver
Oliver

Post by Oliver »

Wow! Amazing....

A Peace Officer Equipment 15 round-mag was sold for 2.000$ today!

It was in a good condition, but such a price is a lot. For that money you can reproduce one and start a production line.....

Well, ave to look further, for such a mag to buy!
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

Oliver wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:18 pm Wow! Amazing....

A Peace Officer Equipment 15 round-mag was sold for 2.000$ today!

It was in a good condition, but such a price is a lot. For that money you can reproduce one and start a production line.....

Well, ave to look further, for such a mag to buy!
Right about $2,500.00 by the time the tax and fees are added.
81police

Post by 81police »

That selling price is in the normal range for these rare magazines.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator