Failure to extract? Failure to eject

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
concretus

Failure to extract? Failure to eject

Post by concretus »

Hello,
Took my newly purchased model 81 out to the range. Started with one round loaded to see if the bolt would stay open upon firing. As the rifle fired, the spent case would not eject; it would just lay on top of the mag follower. At that point, I didn’t load more than one round in the mag. What is causing this? What parts do I need to look at/ replace?
Another question; what kind of accuracy should I expect from this rifle? The best group was about 4” @ 100 yds. Thanks
MinnesotaDan

Re: Failure to extract? Failure to eject

Post by MinnesotaDan »

Obviously it could be that the extractor needs to be replace.

However, is this rifle scoped? If so, the windage adjustment knob can cause the case to end up back in the mag well on top of the magazine. In this case, it actually extracted, but then rebounded back off of the scope to land back in the rifle. Rotating the scope 90 degrees solves this problem, but then the adjustment knobs are different in as far as counterclockwise is now left instead of right, and vice versa.
concretus

Post by concretus »

Yes it is scoped. I’ll take it off and try. It’s a good place to start. Thanks
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

CCT
Got a couple scoped 81s, these ladies eject up, out the top; If your scope is in the way it WILL cause problems. The Stith & Griffin & Howe versions offset the tube enough to the left to clear ejection. The only over the bore mount that functions is one of our members "Scout" mount that replaces the rear sight on the barrel sleeve.
Note: the G&H with a K2.5 will help you ring a 8" gong at 185yd, Cam has photos of it from the Great 8 Event.
Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
concretus

Post by concretus »

I’m going to rotate the scope and give it a try. If it still does it I’ll use a peep / receiver sight. Also, I’m going to take the bolt out and inspect the ejector/ spring. My gunsmith thought is seemed rather loose.