old guy; new discovery: PICS ADDED

New Member Introductions
rockfish

old guy; new discovery: PICS ADDED

Post by rockfish »

i have been discovering some of my dad's old guns that have been stored for decades. this week i discovered what i now know to be a model 8 (thanks very much to this website=it is the best i have seen trying to run down other guns!!!)
i have printed & read the manual - except the front cover page will not print??
here is a run down of what little i know so far:
>model 8 - .35 cal. (.35 R.E.M. stamped on top of breech)
>safety lever - first style
>butt plate some type heavy plastic with UMC stamp
>browning patient #'s on barrel & back sight
>have removed the forearm but no serial numbers - where would they be?
>on the bottom of the breech in front of the trigger guard are: two separate circles with a capital J within -between them is a '24' and small 's' stamped
>i have tried to disassemble but the lever will not move and i have learned not to force things
i know little about!!
at this point i have stopped everything in hopes some of you folks can guide me along.
thanks!!!
RF
81police

Re: old guy; new discovery

Post by 81police »

Rockfish,

If there is a "24" on the bottom of the receiver just forward of the magazine I think you have Model 8 # 24. The 1st style safety lever and the location of the caliber engraving indicates this is a very early gun as well. That's the earliest I've ever heard of. I would love to see pictures of this rifle if you'd be willing to email me.

cat9x@hotmail.com

The safety lever can only come out 1 way, it must be positioned at a downward angle to fit into its keyway. All the pulling and tapping won't remove it, that may however bend or break it. Once you have the lever nearly pointing straight down, gently tap the other end with a punch and rubber mallet.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rockfish

Post by rockfish »

cam,
thanks for info and prompt reply.
i think i misled on the disassemble part. it is not the safety lever that doesn't move but the lever under the forearm used to remove the barrel. that is what doesn't move. as best i can see the barrel really needs cleaning but can't do a good job until i remove it. i certainly don't want to damage anything simply because i don't know what i am doing....
i will see if i can get some decent photos to send you.
thanks again.
rockfish
81police

Post by 81police »

yeah sorry I misunderstood. The takedown lever can become set pretty tight. I'd treat it like trying to remove any rusty screw. Just don't try and force that takedown lever as it can bend.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rockfish

Post by rockfish »

cam,
thanks again.
i am going to try WD-40 and let it set for a while, then gently tap it. if and when it break loose (not break!!), where do i look for the serial number?
i am getting excited based on your early note about the possibility of it being an early model.
i will still try to get you some pics. i am not much with my new digital camera but will give it a go. the nice thing is i don't have to worry about running out of film.
RF
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Welcome! Very exciting to have a new guy and a VERY old rifle!! As Cam indicated by your serial number "24" it just about has to be the 24th rifle ever made in 1906, the first year!

The circles w/ J's, and other marks like it are fitter's marks used as it went through the assembly line - they have no real meaning or value.

If the WD-40 does not work (it did not for me), I suggest Kroil. It has been used for years by many to released old stuck parts. Good chance you can find it locally but it's available everywhere on line. I even use it in my own mix as a bore cleaner.

Lightly tapping the (protected with leather, brass, etc.) barrel take-down lever is a good plan - likely will break it right loose. Unfortunately, this operation will not get you to the entire barrel but will "take-down" the rifle and make cleaning the barrel much easier.

Taking the barrel out of the shroud is whole different issue. Although it might be advisable to remove the shroud from the barrel many 8 and 81 have been ruined this way. It is not difficult but there is a trick to it and it does take special tools. Cam will likely offer an opinion on whether to do it on not when he sees the rifle's condition in the pictures.

Exciting indeed!! Keep us posted and we'd all like to see the pics too!
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
81police

Post by 81police »

my pleasure RF. The serial number should be the #24 where you indicated stamped on the bottom of the receiver just forward of the magazine. Sometimes you'll find a matching number stamped on the barrel jacket underneath the forearm, sometimes not. If you remove the buttstock you may also find a serial number etched into where the tang rests. Not that you'll need to look but on the inside of the action the magazine is often serial numbered to the gun as well. I look forward to your pictures to help confirm what you have.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rockfish

Post by rockfish »

thanks to those who have replied. i have some pics but can't seem to figure how to either paste to this note or use as an attachment.
any help would be appreciated.
RF
81police

Post by 81police »

email them to me and i'll post them.

cat9x@hotmail.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

RF should write in his diary on this one, "jackpot"

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
rem81auto

Re: old guy; new discovery: PICS ADDED

Post by rem81auto »

Jackpot indeed, very cool to have a Model 8 with that low serial number... congrats RF. :D
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Wow!! Very nice! I was feeling pretty good about my 1907 #2522, but this blows mine out of the water. Congratulations!

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

great to see #24 surface, and still in great shape too.......would be nice to have a Model 8 made in the first couple weeks if not the first week of production great find ! Thanks for sharing

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.