New brass

Items wanted
RustySears

New brass

Post by RustySears »

Just bought some brass from Grafs! They have 25 and 32 remington in stock, and reasonable. Hoping some 30 remington will follow.
retiredtroop66

Re: New 30 Rem brass from 32

Post by retiredtroop66 »

If you've got 32 Rem brass, you don't need 30, just a 30 Rem FL resizing die. The difference between the neck size of the 32 and the 30 is very small, only 0.013" overall, so all that's needed is to run the 32 thru a 30 FL die, trim it a bit (maybe) and you're done. Don't take my word for it. Check out Redding's web sight for cartridge conversion dies. They say the same thing. Outside or inside turning isn't an issue with these guns since the chambers were cut to absolute maximum dimensions to insure chambering and extraction. They didn't expect anyone to reload this brass back when.
Watch the fired primers. Due to the large chamber dimensions, they often tend to back out some. If this happens check how much back-out you got with a caliper and back the sizing die off accordingly. Set to the correct depth with a flat feeler gauge between the case mouth and shell holder face. It won't be much. Mine is 0.005". This will correct any large chamber/headspace issues and you'll get a case that fits your chamber perfectly.
Be sure and slug your barrel as well. The 30s ran a bit small bore-wise and were often .307 or .306. Not too long ago I pulled bullets from some original rounds and the bullets measured about .3065.
BTW: The same process works for 25 as well but you will need a 25 Rem forming die which is available from Redding. Make a 30 first time around with the FL die, then make a 25 from it using the 25 form die and the 25 FL die. The same primer back-out rule will apply here as well. Once you get used to the process, you'll find you can start with the 32 for both and save $.
P7M13

Re: New brass

Post by P7M13 »

There's a FS ad over in the reloading components section at Northwest Firearms where the guy has virgin 30 Remington brass. No affiliation with the seller. I missed out on his 35 Remington, will be buying some 300 Savage from him.