Broken bolt carrier

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
cantgrowup

Broken bolt carrier

Post by cantgrowup »

I just bought a really nice Model 8 in .30 Rem with the plain flat-knob stock. Bluing is 90-95% and wood is free of any significant scratches or dents. The bore is perfect. It doesn't look like the gun had been shot that much, but when I tore it down completely prior to firing, I discovered that the bolt carrier had a chipped area inside the back of the bolt cavity where the firing pin goes through. A smaller piece was found inside the bolt and it may have been the entire broken off piece but worn down by banging around inside the carrier. You can see the grainy matrix of the bolt carrier where the piece is missing from 1 o'clock to 7 o'clock.

My question is whether or not the bolt carrier is still functional? I've already bought an entire .30 Rem bolt assembly to replace it but don't know if the carrier is any good.

ranman

Re: Broken bolt carrier

Post by ranman »

I would think the bolt needs to be checked for cracks before firing. This is significant problem and for safety's sake should not be used. Replace the bolt and have this one looked at . LPI ( liquid penetrate inspection) can be done at some machine shops at a reasonable price . This process will identify any cracks. Hope this helps
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Scrap bin, us your replacement. Safety first
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Sound advice. Will use entire replacement bolt carrier/bolt assembly when I get it.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

I got my replacement bolt assembly yesterday and took it apart to clean and inspect. The rear of the bolt cavity is different from the broken one. The back surface is flat. I don't remember seeing a raised cone on the rear of any of the other bolt carriers in my other eight Model 8/81 rifles when I inspected them. Has anyone else ever seen a bolt carrier like my broken one with the raised cone in the rear?
Hibby83

Post by Hibby83 »

cantgrowup wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 8:11 am I got my replacement bolt assembly yesterday and took it apart to clean and inspect. The rear of the bolt cavity is different from the broken one. The back surface is flat. I don't remember seeing a raised cone on the rear of any of the other bolt carriers in my other eight Model 8/81 rifles when I inspected them. Has anyone else ever seen a bolt carrier like my broken one with the raised cone in the rear?

I have one that shares the raised cone that you speak of. I’m pretty sure that’s the only one I’ve seen.