Spanner wrench

New Member Introductions
Craiger

Spanner wrench

Post by Craiger »

I'm looking for a spanner wrench/barrel wrench for the Model 8.
81police

Re: Spanner wrench

Post by 81police »

Hi Craiger & welcome.

Production of the repro wrenches ceased some years ago. If you do a search on our forums you'll find several posts on how to make your own at home.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Welcome Craiger: 10-4 on what 81 Police posted. Also several members make them and offer for sale. I've seen offers for sale of tools for the 8/81 barrel takedown on other forums and ebay also, some are pretty pricey. I bought a tool from a member of this forum several years ago that works like a charm, well made, and not expensive. Not sure if he is still selling, you could PM him and see. He goes by ROBOPUMP.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I can still make two of these. I use a nut splitter tool and turn down the chisel to a pin that will fit in the hole of the barrel nut. It is adjustable and will work with all calibers. Price is $25.00 for the tool and $9.00 for priority one shipping in a small flat rate box. Let me know if this is what you want.
Be safe and enjoy life. ROB
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

For those that have been around for a while, yes I am still alive and doing fine. Glad to see some new activity on the forum. ROB
81police

Post by 81police »

ROB!!! Good to see you on here again!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Yes Rob, good to see ya postin. Wish the forum was more active. Have got a lot of mileage out of the tool I purchased from you. Works so slick I almost want to disassemble the barrel and sleeve every time I clean the bore. Take care. Rifleman
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

I also made some tools to remove the barrel nut and the outer barrel cover. I saw examples of the tools done by "circle branch pro". I found a tool socket, in my case an 11/16 socket fit perfectly over the barrel. I then drilled a 3/32 dia hole in the socket a measured distance back from the end of the socket. This drill fit the hole in the barrel nut perfectly. Put a ratchet wrench on the socket, insert the drill shank in the socket hole, and the barrel nut give a twist and off she came. At this point you can remove the barrel from the outer shell. For the other tool I cut a piece of 1/8 x 2 flatbar about 3 inches long. Additional cuts were made so I had a stub along one edge that fits into the open end of the barrel cover and about 1/2 inch deep. Then used a dremmel small barrel sander to thin the areas next to the stub down from 1/8 to fit the spanner slots. Now, if you clamp the 3 inch portion in a vice with the stub up, place the barrel on the stub, and with a fabric strap wrench give the barrel cover a twist, and it comes loose to finish by hand.

When I find a photo sharing website, I can post some pictures.
fechnerj

Post by fechnerj »

Pictures
Attachments
1108201145a.jpg
1108201145a.jpg (9.26 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
1107201614a.jpg
1107201614a.jpg (11.93 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
1108201142.jpg
1108201142.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 6827 times
Abouttime

Post by Abouttime »

ROBOPUMP wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:45 pm I can still make two of these. I use a nut splitter tool and turn down the chisel to a pin that will fit in the hole of the barrel nut. It is adjustable and will work with all calibers. Price is $25.00 for the tool and $9.00 for priority one shipping in a small flat rate box. Let me know if this is what you want.
Be safe and enjoy life. ROB
I am new to the forum and have recently purchased a Remington 81 in 300 Savage. Would it be possible to purchase a tool from you? Tim
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Craiger wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:07 pm I'm looking for a spanner wrench/barrel wrench for the Model 8.
Craiger,
I am making a FN style barrel tool with a local gunsmith, very nice and knowledgeable guys, CNC machines and all. Waiting for the quote but they know that I want to make a possible run with people that are interested here on the site. This will be as close as possible without seeing original drawings for the tool, just based from existing pictures of the tool.
These can be cerakoted, or a few other finishes, or left in the raw material form. I grade steel part that won't break, they also have an idea on how to make it easier to use by clamping it through the barrel so the tool won't slip off. This could be offered both ways for display or original version as well as ease of use.
Please let me know if you are interested in a tool, and if anyone else is interested.
Thanks
Attachments
fn-takedown-tool2.jpg
fn-takedown-tool2.jpg (45.2 KiB) Viewed 5027 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com
1913Model8

Post by 1913Model8 »

Hi Jack1653, Phybird, Dgeorgarms,
Here is the images of the CAD model for the FN style tool,
These will be made in Stainless steel and polished.
The model is very close to final product, the first one for myself will be made soon, I will keep you posted on price.
Attachments
FN tool design.jpg
FN tool design.jpg (100.32 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
FN tool design 2.jpg
FN tool design 2.jpg (99.1 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
TJ
Industrial Designer
www.tharpdesignarts.com