Very tight barrel nut

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Hibby83

Very tight barrel nut

Post by Hibby83 »

I recently acquired a 1907 Model 8 with the 30-30 Rem stamp on the barrel. I'm happy with the overall condition inside and out " it's pretty much all apart now".

I noticed that the barrel nut wasn't fully seated so I attempted to use my CBR tool. After the first full turn it got tighter than I could manage to remove without the help of a vice. I had to make a trip into my local gun-shop/smith anyway, so I took the barreled assembly in with.

Once I got there we put it in his padded vice and we were able to remove the nut. We noticed that the begining of the thread was off and the next two that followed were semi-flattened. After some discussion we came to the conclusion that turning approximately the first 1/8" of thread off was best ''the notch in the barrel for the washer was not harmed". If either of us had possessed the appropriate die, we would've went that route. Shortly after it was removed from the lathe and some clean up with lapping compound the nut was able to thread on and off like it should.

One happy spring-pole owner here, very fortunate I didn't have to search for hard to find parts!
Last edited by Hibby83 on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phyrbird

Re: Very tight barrel nut

Post by Phyrbird »

Wish I could find a smith that would do right. All in this area are either "Bubbas" :? or 10X expensive. :evil: Plus they act like they wish you had never darkened their door. :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Re: Very tight barrel nut

Post by 81police »

great recovery story!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator