New Model 8 owner with dating question

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Mazer

New Model 8 owner with dating question

Post by Mazer »

Hi all!
Just picked this Model 8 up from a friend. It is in very good condition! But I have a few questions!
The stock looks like an 8A grade, but the checkering doesn't look factory.
The butt pad I've seen on these before...but can't find if it is something that came with it or was a later add on.
Finally, the manufacturing date:
Under the receiver is an F at the top, then the serial# 26,5XX with a K with a circle under it.
Doing some digging on this site looks like the "K" is an inspection mark?
The F seems to say it was made in 1937, but the serial# looks like 1911-1912...not sure which to go by...
This one is in 35Rem caliber and I'm going to go shoot it a little later this afternoon!
https://i.imgur.com/PIvURil.jpg
Mazer

Re: New Model 8 owner with dating question

Post by Mazer »

Well, just got back from the range, looks like light strikes on the primers...tried 3 different types of ammo, not a single "bang". So going to have to take the rifle all the way apart and get the bolt and firing pin apart...see if it is either gummed up, or I need a new firing pin!
Cheers!
mazer
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Be sure to check for mushrooming of the firing pin or the bolt carrier. They can wear over years of strikes. I always pull the bolt back half way & release the hammer to relieve the springs on my Ladies. That also prevents a dry fire on the firing pin.
Phyrbird
SOKY
Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Phyrbird wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:35 pm Be sure to check for mushrooming of the firing pin or the bolt carrier. They can wear over years of strikes. I always pull the bolt back half way & release the hammer to relieve the springs on my Ladies. That also prevents a dry fire on the firing pin.
Thanks! I'll do that! I have been watching a few "youTube" videos on dissassembly and reassembly....we'll see how it goes when I actually attempt this!
Mazer

Post by Mazer »

Took a few weeks but I brought the rifle to a local gunsmith. Looks like the firing pin needed to be replaced. They also cleaned the rifle...all of it including dismantling the barrel. He basically told me when I picked it up not to bring it back for a while!!! It evidently was a BEAR to work on! :)
Shoots great now though! I'm extremely happy with it!
Cheers!
Mazer
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

You found a smith that actually worked on it?? Wow :!: :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY