New Rem Model 8/81 barrel tool for sale (Second batch is ready for sale)

Items for sale or trade
cantgrowup

New Rem Model 8/81 barrel tool for sale (Second batch is ready for sale)

Post by cantgrowup »

UPDATE:

The first "production" batch of 25 tools sold out. The second batch of 25 is now ready for sale.... and of those only 8 are still unspoken for. I'm asking $95 which included shipping, and one operating handle "protector" cap. If interested in one of this batch, send an email to cantgrowup@hotmail.com.

I have designed and commissioned a custom Remington Model 8/81 barrel shroud removal tool for sale. It utilizes one end for removal of the barrel nut (using a extended tip set screw) and the other end for removal of the barrel jacket bushing. A .30 cal. nylon jag (8-32 thread) is included for centering the tool in the barrel. Either end of the tool will accept jags. Other 8-32 threaded jags can be substituted for other calibers. The handle is secured by an O-ring and the tool easily breaks down without tools.

Last edited by cantgrowup on Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:13 am, edited 6 times in total.
uhjohnson

Re: New Rem Model 8 barrel tool for sale

Post by uhjohnson »

You need to comission a tool like this because your tabs will break when trying to loosen a stubborn BJB. I use a machinist square ruler of the correct thickness with a large adjustable wrench in place of the tool shown because it is not available
Attachments
20200125_191939.jpg
20200125_191939.jpg (468.54 KiB) Viewed 21663 times
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

I can understand that. I like your suggestion of using a ruler and crescent wrench for a stubborn rusted up bushing. My tool is more for normal barrel assembly work. I broke down the barrel assemblies on all of my seven 8/81s the first time using a friend's die wrench tool with an insert that had little tabs on one end and the set screw on the other. I didn't like having to loosen the die wrench screws and flipping the insert to switch operations. The little tabs worked on his tool, so I followed the same rationale.
81police

Post by 81police »

That is a great looking "combo" takedown tool! I'd love to see some members get them and review them. I bet it works really good. Are you going to advertise these outside the forums?
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Well... to be honest with you I figured if I couldn't garner enough interest in the only website dedicated to Remington Model 8/81s for a new barrel takedown tool, then there isn't much value in marketing outside of the the forum.... or hope in making more than the remaining two prototypes. Apparently no one needs a new takedown tool.
81police

Post by 81police »

Although this site has a ton of members, only a few are active & fewer post. I get inquiries frequently about take-down tools. Next one I get i'll send your way. Keep this post on-going. Every 8/81 owner needs 1 good take down tool.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Thanks Cam.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I bought the tool I use, which is similar to this one, on eBay. Might be a place to go.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Bandersnatch wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:06 pm I bought the tool I use, which is similar to this one, on eBay. Might be a place to go.
I would try an eBay listing eBay has a lot of traffic compared to one forum.
Once these Model 8 and 81 Rifles have been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned there's really no reason to take the barrel assembled back apart.
KEN
jazzbo54

Post by jazzbo54 »

cantgrowup: I would love to buy one of your spanner wrenches. If you have any to sell, please let me know how I could buy one.
Many thanks!
jazzbo54
There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Koltray

Post by Koltray »

For anyone considering getting one of these. Mine works great. No complaints. And seeing how hard these take down tools are to find, it would really behove you to get one. Before I had the tool,I was having issues with my gun cycling correctly. After getting the tool and being able to see my barrel, it was clear as to why. There was an old yellow greasiness on the barrel that was making it have a delay in the back and fourth motion of the barrel. So this (in my mind) is a very essential tool for any model 8/81 owner.
Craiger

Post by Craiger »

I would like one of your tools, please let me know if any are still available. Thank You
MinnesotaDan

Post by MinnesotaDan »

I would like to purchase one of these. Thanks.
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Email me at cantgrowup@hotmail.com .
I have one tool left for sale.
MrEShopper

Post by MrEShopper »

Are these all gone? Hate to have missed them. Are more being made?
grendel_45

Post by grendel_45 »

me too (hate to have missed them) ...please send me a PM rwhuff@garlic.com

I will buy a takedown tool...
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Hey guys,

I have a batch of 25 tools being fabricated now. I've got a list of people that have contacted me on this forum and will send you an email or message when I get them from the machine shop. You can write me directly at cantgrowup@hotmail.com
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

I will be receiving the next batch of 25 barrel shroud tools from the machine shop in the next couple of weeks. I already have a waiting list of eight or so new customers, but if you'd like one of these tools for your Model 8/81 "ladies", drop me an email at cantgrowup@hotmail.com. I still have not received the final invoice from the machine shop for this first production batch of twenty-five tools, so I'm not exactly sure what the new price will be. The 3 prototypes that I sold were $80 plus $9 Priority Mail S&H. This next batch should be priced similarly.

Obviously, there is not a huge market our there for Remington Model 8/81 tools. I basically took this venture on to satisfy my own requirements and to help out fellow collectors. This was not conceived of as a money-making enterprise. I doubt that there will be enough demand to make a third batch of tools.

Because I now own nine of these Model 8/81 rifles myself, they tend to crowd each other in the gun safe. The protruding bolt knobs on these guns are bad about trying to scratch their safe-mates. So, I did some research and found some soft silicone bolt knob protectors that are perfect. They slip on easily but are undersized just enough to where they don't fall off. I had to order 100 of them for the minimum quantity, so I'll throw in one free knob protector with each barrel shroud tool. I will be asking $1 for each additional bolt knob protector. (Note: Lowe's and Home Depot don't have the necessary size! :D )

Last edited by cantgrowup on Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kcgibbons

Re: New Rem Model 8 barrel tool for sale (Next batch is ready!)

Post by Kcgibbons »

Are all the takedown tools taken? I will buy one if not! Kcgibbons25@gmail.com
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

Email sent - would like to buy when available.

The email I sent is from Tawn Tipsword, my real name.

Thanks,
Tawn
60DRB

Post by 60DRB »

I would like tool/tools for the barrel disassembly.
Are they still available?
lapriester

Re: New Rem Model 8 barrel tool for sale (Next batch is being made)

Post by lapriester »

I am definitely interested in one of these tools. I just inherited my Grandfathers 300 Savage Model 81 and I'm certain it hasn't been apart, fired or lubricated for more than 60 years. Action operates smooth and barrel looks pristine but I want to get it apart for much needed maintenance.

I'll be sending an Email.

Larry
cantgrowup

Re: New Rem Model 8/81 barrel tool for sale (Second batch is ready for sale))

Post by cantgrowup »

Next batch of 25 tools is ready. Have 11 tools left from this batch unspoken for.
Last edited by cantgrowup on Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9.3shooter

Re: New Rem Model 8/81 barrel tool for sale (Second batch is ready for sale)

Post by 9.3shooter »

I received mine very quickly from Mike, and it came with instructions and all as stated. I did use it yesterday, but as recommended I used a steel square slide from a tri square for the initial break free of the bushing on the 81 just received. Both ends worked as intended, quality is good and while I wont need it often it will be nice to have when I do need it. Its a dang nice tool.
Thanks Mike!
Bullpupone

Re: New Rem Model 8/81 barrel tool for sale (Second batch is ready for sale)

Post by Bullpupone »

Cantgrowup,
I sent you a PM. regarding one of your barrel tools, but in case it didn't go through, I would also like to be on your list to purchase one when available
BP-1
Ohsiegel@comcast.net