Ejection issues

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Koltray

Ejection issues

Post by Koltray »

Hello all, recently I finally got my first Remington model 81. Its chambered 300 savage.
Im having a bit of a problem though. Occasionally about the 3rd or 4th round in while shooting, one of two things will happen.
Either the spent case gets caught horizontally between the bolt and top of the barrel\receiver, or the bolt will lock back as if it is empty even if there are rounds left and the spent case is resting loosely on top of the other rounds.
Now apart from never having had one these guns before, i also am no means a gunsmith. But im hoping that maybe a new ejector will fix it? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Also just for extra info, I should note the only thing I have shot is the Remington core lokt.
Koltray

Re: Ejection issues

Post by Koltray »

Oh and one more thing, I plan on reloading these bullets. So when a case gets caught horizontally between the front of the bolt and the top of the barrel/receiver, it bends the neck of the case and ruins that brass.
All that aside, I do still love this gun.
Im just hoping optimistically that I will be able to fix the issue.
Fred

Post by Fred »

First I'd check that the ejector plunger moves freely and has sufficient pressure to kick the case up and out of the way once the case clears the breech. This can probably be checked with empty brass cases. Chamber one and then pull the bolt back quickly and the case should get ejected with vigor.

After that I'd check that the load is hot enough to push the entire barrel assembly to the rear reliably. Afterall these guns are recoil operated. If there is not enough recoil energy to work the mechanism as intended then you'll get jams. Of course it should be noted that if the barrel/jacket assembly is gunked-up this could affect the general operation too.

If it still has issues with good loads and a functioning ejector plunger then there could be an issue with the magazine spring and/or the mechanism that holds the bolt back when the magazine's empty.
Koltray

Post by Koltray »

Thank you very much. Ill will get home Tuesday of next week from the tugboat. I will look into all of that. Greatly appreciate it.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Does the last round hold the bolt back? That's a good indicator if the action is cycling fully.
Gunk & varnish is a battle with our ladies, they like a good bath at least every 10 :shock: years. Just be real careful to catch all the parts when disassembling, they can be a issue getting replacements. Hard to find, hard on the left rear pocket.... :x
Phyrbird
SOKY
Koltray

Post by Koltray »

It does lock back after the last round thankfully. And yeah I think first and foremost I will clean it and then see if anything changes. Side note: its super corny but after reading and seeing a lot of people also calling these guns our ladys. I’ve decided to name mine. Lol Evangaline.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

There is one issue that makes these guns erratic. Open the bolt and look inside, if you see the magazine indicator spring on top of the bolt guides that's the problem.
When reassembling these gun that spring fits into a small slot and has a tendency to slip out when assembling.
KEN
Koltray

Post by Koltray »

Thank you. I will be sure to check that also.
Koltray

Post by Koltray »

Well just to be sure Ive located and ordered a new ejector and ejector spring. Maybe over kill? We’ll see. But if that doesn’t work. I read something about slightly bending the extractor? Not sure how I feel about that one. Would anyone have some info about that?
Koltray

Post by Koltray »

Welp some time later I believed to have fixed the problem. I was finally able to locate a tool to take apart the barrel/shroud assembly. ( fellow user made a few) after removing the shroud and getting down to the barrel I saw it was covered in a thick sticky gooeyness. I assume this is super old evaporated gun oil. Removed it, oiled it back up, put it together. And it has been working fine ever since. I guess that old dried oil was causing some sort of delay which messed with the timing of everything. Anyhow its fixed.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Considering that old gun cleaning solvent dries up like shellac, and gun oil turns into gum oil, its a good idea to take apart these old Remington's and clean them.
I've taken all of ours apart as well as two others we do not have anymore. Some really needed it and some not so much, but considering the parts all recoil anything that would impede movement would have a negative effect on operation
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Yep, Our Ladies need a bath & a shave at least every 10 years. :oops: :lol: :shock:
Be careful though they made a Charmin commercial about too much handling :lol:
Phyrbird
SOKY