Dating my Model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Mark91

Dating my Model 8

Post by Mark91 »

Hey, new to the site. I recently inherited a model 8 from my great uncle who passed I've tried my best to date it accurately but I figured I'd ask some of the pros. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I tried to upload pictures from my phone but the files are too large. The date code reads RA3. November of 1932? The thing that throws me off is the serial number is 14**
Hibby83

Re: Dating my Model 8

Post by Hibby83 »

Welcome to the forum.

There are characteristics that can help you be sure of your date of manufacture. If the rifle is a 4 digit serial # " 14xx" then it would be a first year production. Prior to 1921 Remington didn't use the date code system, the stamp on your rifle could be a repair code "when it was returned to the factory for an issue".

Does the right side of your magazine have a side spring on the exterior, is the caliber stamped on the top jacket head "between the receiver and the barrel shroud and does the buttstock have "cheeks" raised wood where it meets the receiver "like the photo at the top of the forum page"?

Does your rifle look like the one pictured here? This example shows the early safety lever and the lack of a magazine side spring.
Attachments
first year 1906.jpg
first year 1906.jpg (145.7 KiB) Viewed 3822 times
Mark91

Re: Dating my Model 8

Post by Mark91 »

Hibby83 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:08 am Welcome to the forum.

There are characteristics that can help you be sure of your date of manufacture. If the rifle is a 4 digit serial # " 14xx" then it would be a first year production. Prior to 1921 Remington didn't use the date code system, the stamp on your rifle could be a repair code "when it was returned to the factory for an issue".

Does the right side of your magazine have a side spring on the exterior, is the caliber stamped on the top jacket head "between the receiver and the barrel shroud and does the buttstock have "cheeks" raised wood where it meets the receiver "like the photo at the top of the forum page"?

Does your rifle look like the one pictured here? This example shows the early safety lever and the lack of a magazine side spring.
Thanks Hibby.
When I get off work I'll double check. I know it has 35 Rem stamped on the jacket head. I don't believe there is a exterior magazine spring and there aren't cheeks on the stock. Yes It looks like the picture you provided minus the rear sight.