Peerless Grade Model 8 for sale

Posts about the Model 8
Shooter5

Peerless Grade Model 8 for sale

Post by Shooter5 »

Augusta, Georgia Southeast Armory. Absolutely gorgeous Peerless Grade Model 8 for sale. 1929 mfg. Asking $3500 (They also have a very nice Model 14) I have no connection to the business. I would post some pics but I can't figure out how to do it. First time I have ever seen one in person and it is stunning If I only had some spare $$$...

Find us inside Friedman’s Jewelers

Friedman’s Jewelers
2745 Washington Rd
Augusta, GA 30909
MON-SAT: 10:00am – 7:00pm
SUN: CLOSED
(706) 733-4090
info@southeasternarmory.com
SoutheasternArmory
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
Shooter5

Re: Peerless Grade Model 8 for sale

Post by Shooter5 »

Pics from the store. The rifle could use a good home.
Attachments
SE Armory Model 8 c - Copy.jpg
SE Armory Model 8 c - Copy.jpg (535.5 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
SE Armory Model 8 b - Copy.jpg
SE Armory Model 8 b - Copy.jpg (533.37 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
SE Armory Model 8 a - Compr.jpg
SE Armory Model 8 a - Compr.jpg (501.55 KiB) Viewed 6704 times
Conducting Full-Throttle Ops as a Tier 12 operator doing Daddy Duty at Fort Living Room
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks for the pictures Shooter5. I think it's cool and exciting to find any 8 or 81 for sale at gun stores, you just never know what's going to be there.

And just a heads up for anyone on the forums interested in the rifle, this is not a "D" Peeless grade and am convinced the scroll work & wood checkering are not Remington factory work. Multiple reasons for this. This looks like an "A" grade rifle that someone spent a lot of time and love on. Still a cool gun though!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Shooter5

Post by Shooter5 »

Well, I certainly defer to expert opinion, knowledge, and experience. Only reporting what's on the tag LoL.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Without a database of what was an actual D-grade Remington (serial number or other distinguishing mark), how would you know if it was or not? Did the Remington shop ever do customer work at request? If someone asked for that style of checkering and engraving would Remington have done work to the customer's specification?

I'll probably be in Augusta probably within a month, If it's still there I'll go have a look at it.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

A "D" Grade?
We have a "C" Grade Model 8 and the only distinguishing thing about it is the higher grade wood and checkering. The stock is marked "C" inside, so I'm pretty sure its legit.
Would a "D" Grade have the level of engraving?
My first impression is that it is not factory, but I am not qualified to state whether it is or not. The engraving just doesn't have that vintage look to it IMO, more like a modern rendition. Just my opinion
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

The engraving, though nice, is not consistent with other D, E, & F grades of the time period. Also, game scene panels were reserved for "E" and "F" grades. The wood checkering is another "not factory" indicator of the gun. It doesn't resemble period Remington work neither in quality nor pattern. Pictures of the left side of the receiver and placement of the serial number would be helpful.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

It's very pretty, but not factory engraving or checkering. I'd not pay $3500 for it.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.