Safety Lever Design Differences

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Rifleman

Safety Lever Design Differences

Post by Rifleman »

Wondering about the safety lever differences in regard to being a welded or screw version. I've read in Henwoods book that there were three versions. A early 1900 some(the first) which had the thumb piece in the middle of the lever. The lever was later changed around '06 (the second version) which had the thumb piece at the end of the lever. Both the 1st and 2nd versions had the lever welded to the safety shaft which was used until around 1928 or so when the third version came out which had the safety lever attached to the shaft by a screw. The reasoning being it allowed a more secure bond with the two pieces. According to Henwood this 3rd version was used on remaining Model 8's and continued with the Model 81. Henwood did state that Remington did use up remaining inventory of the welded lever/shaft on some of the Model 81's. My question is why are the majority of Model 81's I see for sale have the welded version (2nd) vs the 3rd version with the screw. Most of what I do see for sale is on online gun auctions and once in a while at several gun shows to a state north of me, but a lot of these are ones produced 1945 and on. I would have thought if Remington wanted to use up any old inventory of the 2nd version, they would have done so in the 30's. Both of my 81 300 Savage rifles (DOB 1947 and 49) have the 2nd version. As I penned, most of the 81's I see for sale (and the majority of them are post WW2) have the 2nd version. Anyone know why this would be. Also, have any of you ever had any weld failure with the 2nd version as stated by Henwood for the reason Remington went to the 3rd (screw) version. Henwood did state a lot of the problems were with owners possibly not removing the safety properly, putting undo pressure on the weld. Just curious why so many 1945 plus 81's have the 2nd version and not the 3rd.
cantgrowup

Re: Safety Lever Design Differences

Post by cantgrowup »

Remington may have held the leftover Type 2 levers until the end of the 81 line was in sight, and decided to use up the old stock instead of making more Type 3 levers.

I've only seen one Model 8 on GB that had the lever tack-welded on its shaft.
81police

Post by 81police »

I don't have any additional information on this. I've seen both safety levers used throughout production also.

Regarding the strength difference between the two...I would agree with Henwood, the majority of broken levers I've seen have to do with improper disassembly. I've seen a few welded safety levers with punch marks indicating a previous owner trying to punch something through that doesn't go through!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

What you posted 'cantgrowup' could be a good possibility, although I'd have thought Remington would have used all of the 2nd version up before going with the third. I have noticed by searching for parts for the 8 and 81 to see what is available, that there are 'safety rockers' available here and there, but haven't seen 'one' safety lever of either the 2nd or 3rd versions anywhere. Numrich shows a 2nd version in its parts diagram, but most of their 8/81 parts are continually out of stock, as is the safety lever. The several times I've taken my two 81's apart I "go by the book" as how to take the safety/rocker out and 'tread lightly' so as to not damage the safety lever. I read before hand in Henwoods book on being to forceful.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

If you do happen across one with a separation of lever & shaft::

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... 3d6#p11787

This may not be a permanent repair as a new milled pin hole, but better than a hokey weld. :(
Phyrbird
SOKY
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I can't get the pic, but eBay has a repaired safety lever for sale and it looks hideous.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Is that the one for $39.95? Just posted last week of never seeing any for sale then saw that one the other day. If it is the same one you're talking about, I thought something looked a little 'hinky' about it. I view around 6 or so 'old vintage' and firearms parts (including ebay) sites once in a while and this is the first time I've seen a safety lever for sale. Plan on going to a gun show this week end in Rochester, Minn that always has more milsurp, older, and vintage firearms and accessories than the regular 'run of the mill' shows this coming Saturday. Not that there is any thing wrong with them, but is refreshing to go to a gun show like that that doesn't have endless tables of AR's, Glock types, etc. Going to keep one eye open for 8/81's and their parts. Not needing a lever, but doesn't hurt to have one in the cooler just in case. Can always sell it down the road.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I've seen the safety levers listed on eBay periodically. The welded one listed is probably junk, you can not but that kind of weld on a part like that without it warping.

I think there might be one listed on GunBroker, I did a "saved search" on Model 8 parts a week or so back, and IIRC one was listed, with rocker(?)

On the Model 81 we have there was an issue with the safety lever being lose or something, and my brother had it in a press and broke one of the lugs that fit into the rocker. I was going to replace this one a couple of times, just havent' done it.
KEN