Buttstock bolt lining up

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
DirtyHarry44

Buttstock bolt lining up

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

I've have had the buttstock off numerous times and have been able to bolt them back on no problem.
After going shootin I decided to detail strip the gun by removing the barrel and buttstock, I was going to remove the bolt but it looked clean so I figured I would oil it from the outsideside and just work the action.
Upon puttting the buttstock back on I cannot for the life of me get the retaining bolt to line up and grip the threads of the magazine tang. I've tried coaxing the stock into place wtiht my fist, using a rubber mallet to move the stock around but to no avail. Without the stock the screw will go into place and twist like it is on glass. I had the bolt recoil spring out prior, any correletion to this? The thing is I've never had the rifle apart to this degree before messing with the buttstock.
Any help would be greatly appreciated from an 81 Amatuer.
P.S. when I went shooting with my buddy he had his M1 Garand out before I got there, and I thought "OHHH BOOOOY". Let me tell you what, the kick is nothing compared to that Remington 81 35REM.
DirtyHarry44

Re: Buttstock bolt lining up

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

I meant the threads to the top receiver tang, ( I swear this rifle has got me seing up and down, black and whit it's all I can do to think clearly.)
By the way if I have alluded, it a Remmington 81, I call it Roswell on account of the supposed saucer crashing in New Mexico.
Please, I hope someone can help me out. One of the the biggest things that pissses me off is I scratched the stock something horrible with a screw driver (hollow ground ) ofcourse and I am going to have to refinish the stock. But first I wannna get Rosswell up and running.

Thank you for those taking the time to help me
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

One thing I've noticed with some of these Model 8s & 81s is that it took some judicious fitting to put together, and when re-assembling they don't always seem like they want to go back together. It seems like the factory armorer got them assembled, and years later when we disassemble as needed we discover that they may not have been quite right.
If the stock one your rifle has never been off it may have swelled slightly, but more then likely it never was quite right but the factory got it together and away it went. We had one where I had to literally hold the trigger guard in place with some effort to reassemble.

If you think the .35 kicks don't get a .300 Savage, they're brutal.
KEN
DirtyHarry44

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

still haven't got the stock bolt back in the 81, must've had something to do with shooting it.
I got the pistol grip all buggered up, but that can be fixed later.
I just can't get that damn bolt in, it wont event pass the head to try and engage the threads.
I think whoever installed these parts at the the factory was on a bender.
Other than that I dropped the magazine plate and cleaned the whole rifle, just can't get that damn bolt back in. Kinda weary taking it somewhere, not too many people understand 8/81's (Although it's not a major fix)
What should I do?
She was firing great with that Williams peep, just the rifle beat me silly.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

you might check this topic, many of us have the same problem with the early Ser# 81s.

http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... 078#p15488
Phyrbird
SOKY
ShermanTeP

Buttstock bolt lining up

Post by ShermanTeP »

The bolt I have looks like a maxim arms and the liberty site says .136, with this being said, would it lead one to believe the bolt is out of spec?