Markings that shouldn't be?

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
GrampyTom

Markings that shouldn't be?

Post by GrampyTom »

Hi, Guys.
On page 11 of the latest edition of the journal, 2Q 2019, I had a mystery solved; that crazy Q with two legs I puzzled over is a two leafed apple. So far, so good...... The info about the dates this mark was used has opened a whole new mystery.......My 81D has not just one, but two of these fruity entities stamped side-by-side with an illegible character next to them that looks kinda like a shamrock with a couple of berries under the bottom leaves...........The real mystery here is that this is not a 1925-1928 model 8 rifle, it is an 81D dates from 1948! I love this stuff! Anybody have any ideas what's up? One thing over 60 years of collecting have taught me is that the "rules" have many unexpected exceptions.
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (530.42 KiB) Viewed 4308 times
81police

Re: Markings that shouldn't be?

Post by 81police »

Hi GrampyTom,

For one, love your 81D. I keep a database on existing 81D (very few of them) and Id love to know yours to see where it fits into the range!!!

Those markings are fitters/inspectors stamps. For normal rifles they would have been located at the bottom of the receiver, but for a grade level such as yours they wanted to keep everything clean and as much room for engraving so they could, so they moved them under the forearm.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
GrampyTom

Post by GrampyTom »

The problem is that these apples are only supposed to have been used on guns ,mod 8s, from 1925 to 1928.
81police

Post by 81police »

You're probably taking info from the Henwood book. Henwood, supported by many others, did a fantastic job of gathering research, original documents, and making observations. The bit about the apple marks were probably his observations. Your markings are normal.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
GrampyTom

Post by GrampyTom »

Thanks, Cam.