TANG SIGHT TROUBLE

Posts about the Model 8
eagles

TANG SIGHT TROUBLE

Post by eagles »

I have the flip-up tang sight on my model 8. The problem is it won't lock in the vertical position for shooting, the lever on the side is odd, it seems to have some stopping function but not vertically and I can't find any way to adjust it. On a FB model 8 group one person said they had the exact same issue with theirs, took it to a gunsmith to look at and he adjusted it but they did not know HOW he got it to work to explain it to me. The sight looks in perfect shape by the way. So what is the problem and can I fix it myself? THANKS
eagles

Re: TANG SIGHT TROUBLE

Post by eagles »

Since I have not gotten a single reply on this question, can anyone suggest where to go to ask ? I posted this question on a FB group on these guns and a member said his sight did exactly the same thing and a gunsmith adjusted it t work but he did not know how to tell me what's wrong, so I'm not the only person who has experienced this it seems. Thanks
81police

Post by 81police »

sorry eagles I do not know. Never adjusted one myself.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
eagles

Post by eagles »

Don't ask Lyman, the woman who answered the phone said, ohhh that's an old sight and I said, well yes, who there would know about them SHE REPLIED WE DONT HAVE ANYONE HERE THAT OLD, LOL, LOL, LOL. So I said well uhhh don't you have a historian or dept that has all the old info on your old sights, then she told me to Call this guy KEN BEAN ( Ohhhh nooo , Mr Bean ) in Pa who was there "expert " on this matter so I did. I got a machine, left a message with email and phone, never called me back. I tried a few more times and finally got him, he made no apologies for never getting back to me, I told him LYMAN TOLD ME TO CALL YOU, ON THIS. He was RUDE AS SHIT and barked out, go to a local gun show, there are always people there who know everything !!!! YIKES, what a clown show of ignorance.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

Hey 'eagles'---Can't guarantee any results, but when I bought my first Model 81, the receiver was drilled and tapped for scope mounts. Thinking I may as well mount a scope on it, I talked with the seller (bought on Gunbroker) who advised if I needed any help with scope mounting gear or anything for iron sights, there was a gun shop near him that was "Old Time" when it came to older firearm needs. I called them, very friendly and helpful, wish I lived close enough to stop in and 'chat' there from time to time, reminded me of now closed old time gunshop in my area and a current one where customer is first and any and all BS'ers are welcome to stop in. Anyway it's call Dick Williams Gun Shop. Located in Saginaw, Michigan. Website: dickwilliamsgunshop.com-----pbx: 989-777-1240. As I advised, very friendly and helpful. Was able to get needed scope mount and rings for my Rem 81, also t/w them about a needed adjustment on a early 50 era Lyman sight I have on a rifle. Maybe they can help ya-hope so. Rifleman
eagles

Post by eagles »

THANK YOU, I'LL CALL !!
remi31

Post by remi31 »

hello to all, I live about 6 miles from dicks shop and can say that they really are a great shop. I am in my early 60's and have for years bought most of my fire arms from them. Dick Williams the founder, sadly passed a few years ago but it is still a family run business. Dick's is about the only shop that I know of that still offers free bore sighting. If you need work done I highly recommend them.
chas1949

Post by chas1949 »

Not sure on this one as my tang sights are Marbles but I believe the lever on side is to lock sight in down position when not using. There is a flat on one side to hold with a wrench and two holes on other end for a snake eye spanner bit. I believe this is how you adjust tension on spring that puts sight up and or disassemble sight.