Receiver Sight ID

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
TJH

Receiver Sight ID

Post by TJH »

I need help Identifying the receiver sight that would fit the three holes on the Model 81 shown below. A pic of one would be great.

81police

Re: Receiver Sight ID

Post by 81police »

I've seen 3 hole pattern mounts similar to yours, but never on that side of the receiver. Some kind of peep sight I'd guess.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

In Hatcher's Notebook; page 140 there is a picture of the Remington rifle with a musket type forearm with barrel/forearm band/sling swivel.
The rifle has a receiver sight on the right side, and appears to be a Lyman sight, and it has a long slide, which makes me wonder if it is one of those that were made for the Springfield rifle.
KEN
TJH

Post by TJH »

Thanks for the Hatcher info. The sight in the Hatcher pic looks like a Redfield or Lyman sight. I also found a pic of an original US Army "Trials" Rifle in this post,
http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety. ... 7a7872bbc0
(pic #7) that shows a sight on the right side of the receiver. A Redfield sight for a 1903 Springfield that I have mounts to the bottom two holes on my rifle but the top hole which is drilled and tapped down from the top has me stumped.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

If your Redfield sight for the 1903 will fit the two holes this would lead me to believe that a 1903 sight may be the answer, as I think that the hole spacing was compatible on the different brand sights. I looked on eBay and there are several Lyman 48 sights listed but like you posted none have three holes.

I'm speculating that maybe the sight would shoot loose and some enterprising soul added a third screw.

In Henwood's The Great Remington 8 and Model 81 Autoloading Rifles there's a good picture of the Ordnance trial rifles and he states that the sight is a Lyman 48, the long slide is a 48S for the Springfield 03.
KEN
TJH

Post by TJH »

KEN
Thanks for the info.