Model 8/81 Barrel Takedown tool

Posts about the Model 8
Sarge756

Model 8/81 Barrel Takedown tool

Post by Sarge756 »

Prevailed upon a good friend, that is a talented machinist to build a takedown tool for our rifles. I had bought one that Remcrazy had made years ago and while it worked fine I knew that my friend could improve on it. Our friend Jack1653 furnished some photos of the FN tool and using the idea of one tool to complete both tasks of removing the barrel nut and the jacket ring my machinist friend set to work. Photos below are the end product. He also came up with a simple fix to eliminate the need of a vise to hold the barrel assembly. The receiver end is inserted into a fitted hole in a block of wood and placed on floor between the knees and stepping on the block secures it.As you can see from the photos this is a high quality tool made to last. Told him I would make this post and see what the interest was for him to make more of them. I no longer need the tool I got from Remcrazy so it is available. I think I paid $65/$70 for it.
The extension that is inserted in the barrel is caliber specific this one is .35.It is aluminum rod to insure no damage to rifling. It is held in place with an allen screw so rods of different diameters for all four of our calibers can easily be swapped.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_0262.JPG
IMG_0262.JPG (49.46 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG (57.77 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0258.JPG (45.69 KiB) Viewed 9881 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Sarge756

Re: Model 8/81 Barrel Takedown tool

Post by Sarge756 »

More Photos:

Better view of the wood block and how hole is cut. Also Photo of the takedown tool from Remcrazy that is available.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG (55.94 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
IMG_0261.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG (64.66 KiB) Viewed 9880 times
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Sarge,

Another example of good craftsmanship!! I like the wood block idea and will be making one for myself. I know that takedown tool will make disassembly a lot easier. Congratulations on your creations and will await some feedback on how it works for you.

Kindest Regards,

jack1653
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Thanks Jack, Looked back in my records and found that the CBR tool was $80 plus shipping. I posted it at reduced price in the classifieds.
Joe
81police

Post by 81police »

well thought out and high quality. I like this a lot!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Great to see this tool replicated, Joe!

Years ago I had a lead on a gunsmith who may have been able to produce this tool as well, in fact I had begun gathering the pix from the web and dimensions. I was real interested in having a similar tool made just as I had gotten involved with Model 8's and 81's and could use such a tool. Unfortunately, age took its toll and the gentleman has since passed.

I'm going to read your posts more carefully - and put me down for one of these if any more can be made economically!

Thanks
Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Joe,

I'm going to have to beg someone like your talented machinist friend to invent a Remington Model 10 shotgun barrel bushing removal/installation spanner tool as well....my OTHER Holy Grail tool I can't find!!! :roll:

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

I think I should be interested in this tool. Price?
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Glad to see some interest in this tool. I used it on my 'D' grade in 35 and really appreciate the solid feel with no wobble or chance of slips. Bonus is that with the jacket ring nut removed first and then the barrel nut the heft of the tool and rod down the bore the spring under tension is easy to control. Reassembly is also easier compressing the spring.
I`m leaving for Alabama re family medical issue so may be a week or two before I see my machinist bud. I need to have him make a 30 cal rod for me and will talk with him about a price for the tool.
Adam, If you have a drawing or photo re the tool you want for the Model 10 I can mention that to him also.

Joe
cantgrowup

Post by cantgrowup »

Did you ever check with your machinist friend about making more of these takedown tools for sale? I would definitely buy one.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

ROBOPUMP makes and sells a effective and good quality tool. I bought one around a year ago. Worked slick, with no problems. At the time it was around $25. He's a forum member. If you do a search you can find pictures and information on it.