Firing pin spring

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Jamiej170

Firing pin spring

Post by Jamiej170 »

Hey guys. I’ve got a pre model 8 (1907 manufacture date) with a broken firing pin. I’m new to these guns but from what I’ve read the model 8 didn’t have a firing pin spring but mine does and it’s also broken. Should I buy a spring when I order my new pin or is it not necessary? Thanks in advance
Attachments
98099CC5-8793-4AAF-B9F4-47142C507E09.jpeg
98099CC5-8793-4AAF-B9F4-47142C507E09.jpeg (393.01 KiB) Viewed 5535 times
81police

Re: Firing pin spring

Post by 81police »

Later 8's & 81's had a firing pin spring, and a shorter firing pin buffer spring. If it was me I would get whatever I could get to replace as close to what you removed.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Jamiej170

Post by Jamiej170 »

Thanks 81police.
I ordered a replacement pin and spring but I can’t find a fp buffer spring anywhere so I’ll either have to try it without one or try to find similar spring and see if that works. I’m not sure either one of the springs that came out of mine are correct. I originally thought the one spring had broken but that doesn’t appear to be the case and the other one is too far gone to use
Ki6vsm

Post by Ki6vsm »

Wow, I saw the spring in the pic you posted up under Welcome Wagon and I was thinking it looked a little mangled. I'm not sure what the "buffer" spring is supposed to do. Cushion the bolt as it slams back and bottoms out in the carrier? That would sure explain how it got mooshed eventually. Is it supposed to free-float over the main FP spring?

As I said, I just replaced my circa 1930's FP. The one I bought from Midway is made by Glend Mfg. Its profile is different from my original FP. The Glend one actually looks more like yours, with a slow taper in one section narrowing toward the front. And it's skinnier at the front half of its length.

Numrich's also sells a FP that I believe is the same Glend made part. A couple of bucks cheaper in fact than Midway. AND Numrich's sells a FP spring for it (but no buffer spring). It's a longer spring than what you have there. I actually bought one later as an afterthought and installed it. Their spring would not fit over my old FP, which I just checked out of curiosity. But it seems to work fine on the Glend FP. Only issue I see with it is that at the aft end the spring sits on that gently tapered section and not against anything flat. So the FP spring may get a little expanded at that end over time and ride back further. Hard to say for sure about that right now.
Jamiej170

Post by Jamiej170 »

So here’s an update. Neither of the two new firing pins I bought fit. I had to do some fitting on both ends of the pin, mainly where the retaining pin goes. I had to grind quite a bit off. The spring flat out didn’t work. My cam pins wouldn’t clear the receiver with it in so I cut it down so there’s just enough tension to push the pin back and clear the cam pins. The first pin I installed was a used repro without the spring and I’m not sure what happened but when I reassembled the gun the bolt locked into the barrel which was a little frightening. I got it apart and gave everything a good cleaning and tried again with the brand new pin. So far so good. Now I just need to buy some ammunition and hope it’s not a pipe bomb
ShermanTeP

Firing pin spring

Post by ShermanTeP »

My buddy has a chineses sks and needs new firing pin...
Will an Albanian one work ??
Or where can we find cheap "stock" Chinese one ?
Thanks.

not interested in a spring loaded one