Another new guy

New Member Introductions
ROBOPUMP

Another new guy

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Hello from another newby.

I have been collecting these rifles for about 6 years. I have 7 of the 81's and 4.5 of the 8's. I have Henwood's book and have spent many hours with it. I won't make this post too long, but someone needs to remind me to someday post how I became familiar with these guns, some tips on disassembly/reassembly of the barrel and jacket, how to make better searches for these guns on Auction Arms, Gunbroker, etc. and info on where to get replacement screws.

I would have been here in February, but I just found the site.

Regards,

Robo

Yes, I will explain the nickname in another post.
Hardrada55

Re: Another new guy

Post by Hardrada55 »

Welcome to the forum Robo. I for one always like to hear about how folks got to be interested in the Remington Autoloader Rifles, plus tips on more effective searches are always appreciated. And I got to ask...which 1/2 of the Model 8 do you have the front or back 1/2. Walt
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

The 1/2 rifle that I own is complete. I gave it to my middle son last year, but may ask for it back at any time. It was a well cared for, but very used 8 with straight stock and in 35 Rem. I have four other model 8's, but all have the semi pistol grip stock which is suppose to be rarier.

Robo
TNrifleman

Post by TNrifleman »

Robopump,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you have a nice collection of vintage Remington rifles. Henwood's book certainly is THE one to have for those of us who have been bitten by the 8/81 bug.
81police

Post by 81police »

Welcome ROBO, be sure to show off some of those fine rifles. :D
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Here is a picture of the group. There are seven model 8, two with scopes mounted. There are four model 81, one with scope mounted. I will buy rifles with the scopes in tact, but avoid the ones with just holes drilled in them.
Attachments
PB040055.jpg
PB040055.jpg (71.54 KiB) Viewed 16031 times
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I unloaded the rack, and put in the other Remington semi-autos. There is nine model 11. I only have the newer models with the trigger guard push pin safety and the roll engraved receivers with the ducks on one side and pheasant on the other. I have the 20, 16 and 12 Ga in the model 11(5 shot) and the Sportsman(3 shot).

This forum does not have enough activity for me, so I will try to pep it up some.
Attachments
PB040056.jpg
PB040056.jpg (66.65 KiB) Viewed 16030 times
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Oh, I did not mention the little Remington model 25 pump rifle in 25-20 on the left side of the picture. I have had that one since a kid.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hi Robopump,

Welcome aboard. It is always good to get new guys with new thoughts and ideas. You have some nice looking firearms. How long have you been into the 8's and 81's? I, for one, will be looking forward to some of your tips on tearing down and cleaning these rifles. I am interested in the old pistol grip 8's and would like to talk to you about the ones you have seen.

I am looking for several different models but am not having much luck. Some of the prices on the auctions seem to be outrageous and I am skeptical of the bidding process.

Keep the new posts coming!

jack1653
35Rem

Post by 35Rem »

Welcome and thanks for your posts. I really love the Model 11's! I'm a model 11 nut. Most recent has a Factory vent rib and Cutts comp. Really looks like a dedicated skeet gun to have those options. It's a 1948 production, so last year. It's a Sportsman (my first sportsman, all the others have been 5 shots.)
I've got a 30" full, so does Dad. He's got 2 older "suicide safety" models with 28" solid ribs, and his Dad's 16 ga. That's why I like them so much. I never met him.
War Eagle!
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

First I want to correct an error on my part. In the picture of the 8/81's, I gave the wrong numbers. I have seven model 81's and four model 8's. I had stated it vice-versa.

From the request of my first reply, here is my story of how I became familiar with the Remington Semiauto rifles.
When I was a young guy, barely a teenager, my dad would borrow a rifle from an old friend for me to use during hunting season. I am not sure if it was an 8 or an 81. I do remember that they only gave me 5 shells to use all season. It must have been a 32 cal since I think this is one that they quit making the earliest. I would say this was probably around 1958 - 1960. I was usually lucky enough to make one shot kills with it and would return the unused shells. One year I had 5 shells, killed one deer and returned four shells. The old man was quite proud of me.

After raising 3 sons and having the nest empty, I got interested in gun collecting. I have always marveled at the mechanical fuction of guns and basically never had a real problem tearing one completely down and somehow getting it back together. I started out collecting the model 11 shot guns because I had always liked them. My dad passed one down to me that he had bought new in 1948. So says he bought it by saving quarters from his pocket change until he had enough to buy it. Of course, a quarter would buy a week's groceries back then. Anyway he ordered the gun at the same time as another guy. When they came in there was one model 11 and one model 11-48. The other guy had to have the newer model 11-48. My dad was so pleased because he realy wanted the model 11. He nicknamed it "meat chopper". He claimed it killed in front and butchered behind. He was a believer in sighting in shotguns as if it were a rifle. He would shoot different size shot in it at a spead out sheet of newspaper to see where the concentration of shots went and how many had hit the paper. It did not shoot buckshot smaller than number 4 very well. He claimed the larger shot would get sqashed by the ful choke and would sail and not form a uniform pattern. Anyway, in searching for the model 11's, I ran across a model 81, remembered the gun and the rest is history.

ROBO
Cozahome

Post by Cozahome »

Welcome ROBOPUMP, very nice collection. Do you hunt with your 8's/81's or just collect?
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I don't own anything that I don't shoot. I passed up a never been fired collector gun one time because I got to thinking I could not shoot it and it would just sit somewhere. I do hunt with the 8/81's. Took an 81 last year in 300 Sav with Weaver 2.5 power on it. Did not have any luck - the deer did not co-operate. I did pass up a little forked horn buck.

Robo
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

Nice collection of Humpbacks both rifle and shotgun which I also collect, you are probably aware, but for what its worth the 11s with duck and pheasant engravings come in 2 variations, a single bird and 3 birds on each side.
Sighthound
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

It has been said collecting is a disease, certainly can be an addiction and humpbacks are both for me. ROBO , I see you have nice looking 8, 81 and 11 models and all very desireable and span about the same time period. For the shotguns I say do not overlook Pre-11 Remington, Browning and Savage. Savage especially has some sleepers with trap and skeet models having monte carlo stocks with pads, beavertail forends and vent rib barrels in both 12 and 16 gauge, 1903 mfg. Brownings are scarce as well as straight grip english stocks in all makes and all are Browning design. Sighthound
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

I don't know how I missed this the dozen or so times I've been here. I gotta say, I'm jealous. I have one each of the Model 8 in .35 Rem and a Model 11. Both were my grandfathers and both still work perfectly to this day.

Nice collection. Don't be a stranger around here.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

To sightbound.

I was not aware of the model 11 with three birds on each side. I just went and checked all of mine. They are one bird on each side. My next model 11 will have three birds on each side. These must be rare. Thanks for the info. I wish there was a Mr. Henwood book on the model 11.

ROBO
sighthound

Post by sighthound »

These 3 bird pattern seem to be on early 3 shot sportsman models with vent ribs, better wood and better coverage checkering made in 1930 and 1931, they came in all three gauges, another interesting variation is the American Browning made for Browning during WWII while Belgium was occupied by Germany, these are really just a model 11 with a magazine cuttoff and matt finish receiver top and of course a hard one to find is the ones with straight grip english style stocks, happy Hunting, Sighthound
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

Well, I have one of the 6 bird model 11's coming. See Auction Arms 9774282. It is strange that the barrel date code is 1936 if these were only made 1930 & 31. But strange things happened with serial numbers and date codes with the model 8's in the depression days. I did confirm that the barrel is serial numbered to the receiver. Interesting that the serial number is only 4 digits. I suppose Remington started a new set of serial numbers when they came out with the "Sportsman" model. I thought they were just in sequence with the model 11 since it is the same gun except for the magazine tube and fore arm assembly. Also the gun has a plain barrel, not vent rib. Wood and checkering does seem to be an upgrade. I would not have paid so much for a model 11 Sportsman in 20 Ga. in the worn condition except that it was the "Rare" 6 bird version. I am not sure whether I got a bargain or payed too much, but I did want it.

Robopump
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

Very sweeeeeet. Based on the ones I've seen in the shops and at the gun shows in my next of the woods, you got a bargain.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I went by the FFL yesterday and picked up the Remington model 11 Sportsman with the 6 birds (three ducks on one side and three pheasants on the other). I was very pleased and the gun is in much better shape than it appears in the Gunbroker auction pictures. As per the info in this thread, these were only made in 1930 and 1931, it has a serial number of 7721 which is real low. The barrel date code is Feb of 1936. I know this was depression years, but would this shotgun sit around the factory for at least 5 years before shipping out?

The wood is an upgrade from the std. model 11 and has a longer semi pistol grip and different checkering than the std. 11. The wood still has the original lacqure finish. Blueing is only thin on carry points. Does not show much mechanical wear in the action. Maybe it was carried alot more than shot. I have had days like that. Barrel does not have a ding inside as mentioned in the auction and is mirrow bright.

I think this is probably a rare gun and the seller did not know what he had.
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

ROBOPUMP,

I am personally a Browning A5 guy when it comes to bird shooting, but it sounds like you scored big-time with the six birds on your Rem Model 11. I had a Chemistry teacher that had one which I think was similar. He was a crack shot, but only shot when he knew he would kill the bird. We doubled up on ducks many times. He invited me to his duck pond and I invited him to shoot over my goose spread.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh