Reloading 30 Remington....

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
fpgt72

Reloading 30 Remington....

Post by fpgt72 »

I have reloaded for years, and am looking to try to get my 8 (30 remington) and 81 (300 savage) putting the holes as close together as I can. Now I do know this is not a target rifle, but I am looking for some ideas on a better bullet that will work for the 30 (what I am working on now)....I would really like to find a boat tail bullet, but have not had a lot of luck....wondering if anyone has suggestions.
kenhwind

Re: Reloading 30 Remington....

Post by kenhwind »

Well I just tried to load up some .30 Remington with a Hornady 125 FMJ. The case is too long for these bullets.
You might want to try the Hornady 160 grain FTX for the 30-30 in the .30 Remington. These seem to work okay. I know I loaded some up and I'm sure I shot some to make sure they worked.

Because the .300 Savage is a shorter case the FMJBT bullets will work. I've loaded up rounds using the 147 grain M14/7.62mm/.308 bullet. I also loaded up some using the Hornady 125 FMJ, which I haven't shot yet.

No these aren't target rifles but seem to shoot pretty good if rested. My Dad's old Model 8 in .35 Rem shoots quite well.
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Suggest you try the Hornady 140g Monoflex, I'm having pretty good luck with them & Leverrevolution powder. Another potential could be the 160g FTX. These are a little lighter, great ballistic coefficient, with modern design for 30-30 velocities. The Monoflex being a solid has great accuracy potential.
Phyrbird
SOKY
fpgt72

Post by fpgt72 »

At work now so I can't look, but I want to say I bought a box of FTX and I want to say they are too long.....I will try the others.