For Mitch...

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
45guy

For Mitch...

Post by 45guy »

Haven't had a chance to do any hunting yet, but here is a picture for you... Bonus points to anyone who can identify what my model 8 is leaning on....
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Re: guessing a ...

Post by imfuncity »

I'll go out on a limb and guess a ... red tractor? Only 'cause I was raised on an OH farm :o
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
45guy

Re: For Mitch...

Post by 45guy »

I'll give you a little hint... They were made from 1948-1955, and they have a 4 cylinder continental engine that makes a whopping 9hp at the draw bar...
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
imfuncity

Re: the tractor is...

Post by imfuncity »

Mostly familiar with the Farmall's starting w/ the F-14 thus I was pretty sure it was not a Farmall, even though the color almost looked red. But the steering wheel would never due even on a BN. Not a Case or an Oliver used a couple of that vintage.

Although I've seen a lot of tractors in the field, at the shows, tractor-pulls, etc., I've never seen one like yours. The color and unique design would lead me to an Allis then with your hint ... Google came to my rescue. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0DfKFBbqwE Allis-Chalmers model G tractor, 1948-1955.

I have friends into antique tractors, I was tempted out here a few years ago w/ a Farmall BN but didn't pull the trigger. Like livestock at the Fair, still reminds me of WORK. Yours looks like it could be fun but it still says work to me.
Though defensive violence will always be “a sad necessity” in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men. - St. Augustine
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

Hey 45guy,

Why are you mixing great memories (the gun) with great misery (the red tractor)?

I grew up in the middle of the Sacramento Valley where the land is flat and the dirt very deep and dusty. All I can remember about that "red thing" in the background is lots of dust. I worked with the next model or so up. It was gas powered and the gas had lots of water in it. We had to take off the fuel bowl and dump the water out about every 30 minutes to keep it running.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

INDEED! I had forgotten about dumping and cleaning the "sediment bowl"; always figured it was because of our (always) OLD tractors and their gas tanks, didn't know others had similar problems w/ water and sediment. Wonder why that was? (We had a farm gas tank on a stand provided by the fuel company.)

Started w/ an F-14 Farmall (believe it was the first rubber-tired Farmall), then a 1944-47 DC-3 Case, a 1940-ish Oliver and Farmall M - a chunk of change if we still had them back on the farm but they were mainly worn-out junk then.
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

imfuncity,
I am not sure what was to blame the most about bad gas, but I do know every old tractor had sediment, rust and scale in it. Some said it was the vented tank pulling in moisture while others blamed it on the gas distributor. I worked on a John Deere No 35 harvester that had a case of bad fuel, so we drained it and a week later, it had to be drained again. That experience led me to believe it was from the gas distibutor. About that time-mid 50's-all of the parts suppliers started selling sediment filters for the fuel tanks on stands.

Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
45guy

Post by 45guy »

The ports on the carb do need to be blown out quite frequently to keep her running. But frankly, compared to the rest of my life the farm is a little slice of heaven.
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

There you go - 45Guy, HE does provide. When we go back to OH to visit my wife usually says, "... and we don't live here why?"

Thanks, Behemotosh. I had no clue that the water-gas thing was a known issue. Always thought it was our junk ... and my curse. Like the cast iron front wheel of the Case falling off 1/2 mile from the shop, including the salt water it must have weighted 150# when I picked it up and put it on the draw bar - 3 TIMES!
M1355

Post by M1355 »

Looks like an Allis G, why is it red instead of orange? Glad to see it has the cultivator on it. Be very careful when the cultivator's off, it WILL flip over backwards and get you!
Old tractor guy. M
45guy

Post by 45guy »

M, it has been repainted a couple of times since it has been in constant use since it was bought new. Use it for planting carrots, beets, turnips, beans etc. Wish I still had my uncle's allis, we ended up buying an old Renault to replace the engine on it, and had a blast bajaing through the fields in it until it flipped. Good times!
ctgodog

Post by ctgodog »

Condensation inside the gas tank from heating and cooling?????

Clint
[b][color=#0040FF]Time is the Essence of Life, Wine, and Great Guns[/color][/b]
45guy

Post by 45guy »

Here is the new one Mitch:
imfuncity

Post by imfuncity »

You "dun-good-fer-shere".