Just stumbled on a LA Sheriff's Dept Model 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Pony Express

Just stumbled on a LA Sheriff's Dept Model 81

Post by Pony Express »

I'm actually not even a Model 81 collector, but I found a local guy who had a Model 81 for sale, and needed money, so I went to look at the gun. It turned out to be a Model 81 LASD department marked gun that he had bought in California about 40 years ago. The gun is in near excellent condition with a matching 15 round magazine.

From my reading it appears that about 200 were purchased by the LASD? This is gun #8, and so marked on the receiver. I'm just wondering if there's a list of known guns that I could add to, since this one looks to have come out of the woodwork and certainly hasn't been presented for sale in some time.

Thanks for such a great website!
Hardrada55

Re: Just stumbled on a LA Sheriff's Dept Model 81

Post by Hardrada55 »

Pony Express wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:10 am I'm actually not even a Model 81 collector, but I found a local guy who had a Model 81 for sale, and needed money, so I went to look at the gun. It turned out to be a Model 81 LASD department marked gun that he had bought in California about 40 years ago. The gun is in near excellent condition with a matching 15 round magazine.

From my reading it appears that about 200 were purchased by the LASD? This is gun #8, and so marked on the receiver. I'm just wondering if there's a list of known guns that I could add to, since this one looks to have come out of the woodwork and certainly hasn't been presented for sale in some time.

Thanks for such a great website!
Please tell me that you bought it.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Pony Express

Post by Pony Express »

Yes, it's now in my possession. Just deciding if it's going to be an addition to my collection, or if it'll be up for sale.
81police

Post by 81police »

welcome Pony Express. And congrats on the LA rifle. That county did purchase 199 Model 81's comprising both standard rifles w/ 5 round magazines and "Special Police" versions with detachable 15 round magazines. It's not known exactly how many of each version made up that 199, but the rumors are that only 45 of the 199 were the "Special Police" models. We have approx. 26 of those on file and documented. Rifle #8 is not in that list and I would love to add it and provide you any additional information on your rifle that I can. If interested please email photos of the rifle to my address below...

cat9x@hotmail.com
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Pony Express

Post by Pony Express »

Thanks for the welcome! Photos are on their way, and you should have them by the end of the day. The rifle magazine has (in very light, neat etching) "Norwalk Armory LASD" so that should at least narrow down what part of LA County it went to. Anything else you can add is greatly appreciated. I never had this much appreciation for the Model 8 & 81, but after enjoying this rifle and looking at the work that went into manufacture, I am starting to think of collecting these! If you don't have photos shortly, please post and I will resend!

Thank you again.
81police

Post by 81police »

Thanks Pony, I haven't received any photos yet but i'll keep you posted
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
olskool

Post by olskool »

well where is the photos! :ugeek:
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
greg

Post by greg »

Hi All,
In 1974, when I just got out of high school my favorite gun shop was the Pony Express in Encino, on Ventura Blvd in So. Cal. One day I walked in and bought a excellent condition, mdl 81 in 300 Savage for about $150, if my memory is correct. There was a selection of mdl 8s and 81s to pick from and I remember looking at a LASD, but couldn't justify the extra ~$50 they were asking. I thought the 15 round mag was cool but remember thinking that whomever stamped the big LASD on the side of the receiver could have done a much better job and that kind of turned me off of that rifle. If we only knew then what we know now. :P
81police

Post by 81police »

a dandy Special Police...
Attachments
remington-model-81-police-gun.jpg
remington-model-81-police-gun.jpg (46.34 KiB) Viewed 12199 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

There you go again, I'm washing the drool outa my keyboard w/ distilled H2O. This is getting expensive at 69 cents a gallon.
Phyrbird
SOKY