when was sling swivel threaded hole added

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
olskool

when was sling swivel threaded hole added

Post by olskool »

when was (the year) the sling swivel threaded hole added to the barrel jacket for the model 8?
I have never harvested an animal, but I have killed quite a few.............
olskool

Re: when was sling swivel threaded hole added

Post by olskool »

I guess nobody knows,,,,,,,,,,,
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

According to Henwood in his book, page 58, he advises that "Beginning in October of 1920, the barrel jacket was drilled and tapped for a sling swivel; a plug screw being installed to fill the hole on those rifles ordered without swivels." Henwood further wrote that the drilled and tapped hole was phased in over a period of time, ie. that he had seen some rifles made after 10/20 without the feature as late as March of 1921. 'olskool'-I read your post Sunday and couldn't recall where in Henwoods book I had read the info, hope this is what you had in mind. Rifleman
olskool

Post by olskool »

yes sir that is what I wanted. one of my rifles dates to 1927 and it dose not have the drilled jacket. but according to what the book says it should, hum, very curious. I don't think it was altered with another jacket, as I bought that gun from an old lady in California. the gun belonged to her dad and I think he was the original owner, but who knows for certain,,,,,