thegreatmodel8.net

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
admin
Site Admin

thegreatmodel8.net

Post by admin »

Do people still use this to come to this site, I just put another $60 for two years on the DNS part. (the name) Just wondering if I should have to should again in 2 years ;)

David
Phyrbird

Re: thegreatmodel8.net

Post by Phyrbird »

Dave,
I use the "remingtonsociety.com" site frequently. When I enter thegreatmodel8.net I end up on the society site. Is there any pages on the "dot" net URL? or is it just a pass thru to our site?
If it has no pages we can't use them, then the only reason to hang onto the URL is to prevent others from adulterating our stuff, right? Is there a way to reserve the url to protect it? $30 a year for little or no use is wasteful. How bout our members suggesting a use for the URL that could be cool; How bout Ideas :!: :!: :?: :?:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

I only use greatmodel8.net. And, all the YouTube videos reference that link address. Just FYI
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

I didn't know there was a difference, ie thought both the .com and .net site differences were all one website (which I guess they sort of are). I keep the forum on my computer 'short cut', but hit the 'home' quite often and read and reread a lot of the information on the .net side. I've never seen any post for it, but I'd be willing to toss in some $$ to help defray the cost, I'm sure others have already and others would. Just post the info and I'll respond. A lot of what Phyrbird posted about is "Greek" to me and might as well be written in Portuguese as I'm an admitted computer illiterate having only been using a computer for ten years and only learned enough to get me around cyberworld. Thank you all that keep this forum/site going and add your knowledge to it. I check it everyday for new posts and info, read a lot of the older posts too.

I've been going to post my Rx reference to a post I put on the 'Trouble shooting' site back in Sept on my 81 300 Savage, but haven't. Gotta do it, Model 81 is running fine now. Also recently got another 81 300 Savage that is two months younger than I (date of 01/49) on it. Very very good condition. Love these Remingtons. My problem is I divide all my time with Savage 99's, K98k Mausers, Springfields, Garands, Marlins,Colts, Rugers, percussion and cartridge black powder revolvers etc---just not enough time spent on one particular type/model of firearm. Anyway-have a good day all.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Phyrbird wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:22 am Dave,
I use the "remingtonsociety.com" site frequently. When I enter thegreatmodel8.net I end up on the society site. Is there any pages on the "dot" net URL? or is it just a pass thru to our site?
If it has no pages we can't use them, then the only reason to hang onto the URL is to prevent others from adulterating our stuff, right? Is there a way to reserve the url to protect it? $30 a year for little or no use is wasteful. How bout our members suggesting a use for the URL that could be cool; How bout Ideas :!: :!: :?: :?:
This just doesn't happen to me, it goes to the opening page.
In reality behind the curtains it's http://thegreatmodel8.remingtonsociety.com/ which is actually not the same way I did the remington model 12 site. yeah long story.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

81police wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:17 am I only use greatmodel8.net. And, all the YouTube videos reference that link address. Just FYI
We want to keep it then.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Rifleman wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:25 am I didn't know there was a difference, ie thought both the .com and .net site differences were all one website (which I guess they sort of are). I keep the forum on my computer 'short cut', but hit the 'home' quite often and read and reread a lot of the information on the .net side. I've never seen any post for it, but I'd be willing to toss in some $$ to help defray the cost, I'm sure others have already and others would. Just post the info and I'll respond. A lot of what Phyrbird posted about is "Greek" to me and might as well be written in Portuguese as I'm an admitted computer illiterate having only been using a computer for ten years and only learned enough to get me around cyberworld. Thank you all that keep this forum/site going and add your knowledge to it. I check it everyday for new posts and info, read a lot of the older posts too.

I've been going to post my Rx reference to a post I put on the 'Trouble shooting' site back in Sept on my 81 300 Savage, but haven't. Gotta do it, Model 81 is running fine now. Also recently got another 81 300 Savage that is two months younger than I (date of 01/49) on it. Very very good condition. Love these Remingtons. My problem is I divide all my time with Savage 99's, K98k Mausers, Springfields, Garands, Marlins,Colts, Rugers, percussion and cartridge black powder revolvers etc---just not enough time spent on one particular type/model of firearm. Anyway-have a good day all.
dot
com, net, us, anything they think they can sell

is all different places and there's subdomains like A.B.com

It all goes DNS (for look to IP) and how it all works is really interesting but may make your head hurt (sort of like bitcoin) and if that isn't painful enough move from IPv4 to IPv6 and your need a rubber room.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

With my computer knowledge I "ain't ta" even go down those paths of confusion. :shock: :? :lol:
Fred

Post by Fred »

I don't bookmark things, I guess I'm an odd person. I can't remember the forum URL so I generally use a web search that gets me here. That said, once I've got all my browser tabs set up the way I like them I just refresh the "active topic" link to see what's going on.

Missionary

Post by Missionary »

God afternoon
It took me years to figure out how to make a list of places I like to view. But does save me a lot of time. I am a two finger typer who has that ability to mash the wrong key a lot.
A machine with levers and gears and moving parts is a joy !