barrel head

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
uhjohnson

barrel head

Post by uhjohnson »

I just received a .35 rem barrel and it does not have a head. I have another barrel assembly with a poor bore, can I take the head off this one and put it on the newly acquired barrel, lining up the index marks and check head space. do I need any special tools
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
uhjohnson

Re: barrel head

Post by uhjohnson »

a friend was telling me what I am calling the head is a barrel extension. in the parts list only the barrel is numbered(29) however it is two pieces because both pieces have marks that align like a barrel and a receiver on a lot of rifles. has anyone ever taken one apart
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
LyingBastard

Post by LyingBastard »

IMHO you might want to consider verifying the headspacing. I do not know if all barrels and barrel extensions were so perfectly made they were interchangeable with each other. I do know in an AR while the barrel + barrel extension *assembly* is usually headspaced against a standard bolt at any barrel shop so this assembly tends to be drop-in, the barrel still may need some fitting onto the barrel extension to get proper headspacing.

But, this is my opinion. I think we should wait for those more experienced with these rifles to chime in.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

The barrel extension is pinned to the barrel.
I bought a .30 Remington barrel on eBay and the barrel nut wouldn't go on, and as I messed around with it the barrel turned. Anyway I ended up with it as the seller was " well you didn't ask blah, blah..." so I took the high road and kept it.

I did manage to drill the pin out but I could not unscrew the barrel extension from the barrel with out ruining some threads. There was a bulge in the end of the barrel and I'm assuming that in order to disassemble the pin sheared off and galled the threads.

I'm sure someone of this forum knows how two separated the two parts
KEN
LyingBastard

Post by LyingBastard »

Wow. I thought that it would come off like the one in an AR: once you remove all the remains of the old pin, the barrel can be twisted off with a large lever of arm. I was just looking at how the pin goes in the extension and it seems either you drill the barrel after everything is lined up or you will be damaging the threads a bit by shoving the pin against them.

How bad and where exactly was the bulge? Your adventure, if you can post a few pictures, might help others.

If it makes you feel any better, I bought a second barrel tube/sleeve off ebay just to find out its front was rather abuse and bent. I will figure out a way to straighten it without damaging the internal threads... one day.

There are tools to repair internal and external threads:
https://www.victornet.com/subdepartment ... /1420.html
I've used both my metric and SAE thread files and they saved my bacon a few times.

Sorry I can't help you. Closest I've done was separating barrel from extension/trunnion in a SAR80 (I wanted to save extension). That guy did not have a pin; it just did not want to budge.