1939 Remington Model 81 (35 Remington)

Place your vintage Remington autoloader photo's here..
hartmn2

1939 Remington Model 81 (35 Remington)

Post by hartmn2 »

I bought this model 81 from a local gun store. They had purchased it from an estate sale. Its date code is (AH) 1939. It looks like a closet queen. The caliber is 35 Remington and I paid $700 for it. I had been looking for one for a long time that was not molested with a scope. I think I way underpaid for it. It looks to be all original. They said they sold it for the price because they were worried the caliber made it undesirable because it is hard to find. They didn't want it sitting on their shelf. Yesterday an auction closed on GunBroker.com for $1800 in .300 Savage that was 10 years newer in similar condition. Please look aver the pictures and let me know what you think.

I looked for one of these rifles for a long time! I think I scored a really nice example and I found a couple of stripper clips on ebay! I hope there are still a few people out there looking at this great website! I'm really excited about this Remington 81 find!

Eric
kenhwind

Re: 1939 Remington Model 81 (35 Remington)

Post by kenhwind »

You done good imo.
KEN
hartmn2

Post by hartmn2 »

Ken,

Thank you for your reply on my Model 81 purchase. Yesterday, we took it to the range. I am an NRA certified instructor at a local range and my fellow instructors said it would be okay to shoot it at the pistol range which is not the norm. We all took turns firing the Model 81. It fired flawlessly and was very accurate. I'll try to post some video, or pictures as one of the instructors is a lady. This rifle is a classic, and a very nice example of the quality of American firearms industry of yesteryear.

We only a shot a box of ammo (20 rounds) and it doesn't recoil to bad. And again, it was dead on accurate and I only wish I would have taken a picture of the target. Dah! I wish this website had more activity but I am so thankful for it!
It is a wealth of information!

Thanks again Ken!

Eric
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Hully shite!

Where am I when these kinds of deals crop up??
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
81police

Post by 81police »

An unmolested original. Very very nice condition. Finding springpoles in condition like this is becoming more and more uncommon.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Yes you don't see them in this nice of condition very often, and even in lesser condition the prices seem to be escalating.
I think I had that 81 in .300 on my watch list.
We have a Model 8-C that was Dad's in .35 Remington and it shoots quite well for an oldie.
KEN
drogte

Post by drogte »

I own two Model 8's (.35 rem), I don't know about pricing, but your Model 81 is in pristine condition. I think you got one heck of a deal on a great rifle.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Sir,
You have an early 81 in what looks to be excellent condition. It’s always hard to tell from photos,but this one looks original to me. I have an early 81 in just about perfect condition also,except in 30 Remington. I would sell mine ,but not for any less than 1000.00$ In my humble opinion,you did ok. Especially in 35.Ive discussed this with Brian and Corey Creamer at Tulsa in November.We all agree that in today’s market,the 35 may be surpassing the 25 in desirability. Books may state otherwise still,but I think this is changing. I spoke with Jack about this and believes it is because of ammunition availability.I concur with him on that point.
Anyway you seem to have a very nice piece .Congrats.
Thanks for your time
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
Trepang

Post by Trepang »

I am just getting into 8/81's but have been watching online auctions for months. I think you got a heck of a deal. Beautiful rifle.

I have seen those stripper clips go for > $100 on eBay