Barrel Takedown Tools

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
Rifleman

Barrel Takedown Tools

Post by Rifleman »

I know this has been posted and replied to some on the forum. I went to search and most, if not all of the replies and information is 2-4 years old. I've seen some of the tools made by forum members for the purpose of taking the bushings and such from the front of the barrel, but am wondering if anyone is currently making/selling a 'original style' spanner wrench or the style of 'pro-tools' Bob at CB was selling some time ago. OR-if any has a set/tool to sell. Ebay, Gun Broker, GunsAmerica, etc has nothing on their sites. I'm sure if any is listed on this site they don't stay around long. Those tools Bob at CB looked 'top shelf', wonder why he quite offering them. His video's were very informative. Would just as soon buy some quality tool rather than 'cook' one up from odds and ends laying around, not that it/they would not get the job done or I couldn't make something. Any info much appreciated.
Rifleman

Re: Barrel Takedown Tools

Post by Rifleman »

I was going to add about a tool made and sold by Robopump. Had seen it posted before with pictures and such, but couldn't find it. Alas, only a ways down on page one. It looks like a good tool for the purpose of taking off the barrel nut. Was wondering though, Bob from CB in his video showed and advised to loosen the barrel bushing first, get it loose, then proceed with the barrel nut. With Robopumps tool for the nut, how is the bushing loosened up prior to taking the barrel nut off? Robopumps tool looks like a great tool for the nut, but wondering about the bushing. After the nut is removed it looks like say a shotgun choke tool if it fits the slots would work, but not until the nut is removed.
Rifleman

Post by Rifleman »

OK, I think I may have answered one of my questions from the above post. You that are more knowledgeable will have to tell me if I'm on the right track. I viewed Bob's from CB other video on barrel takedown. This is the one where he uses his 'Pro-Tools' for disassembly. Watching it he first loosened the barrel nut with a tool that looked like a two handled die wrench with a screw that goes into the barrel nut, then inserted a two handled tool with an attached piece of metal that looked like a lot of shotgun choke wrenches into the barrel bushing and loosened it. 'Bob' never loosened up the bushing first as in his video where he used a Remington style spanner wrench. I assume in his video where he used the 'spanner style' wrench, he first loosened the bushing first so the halfmoon cutout would ride around the nut with the prongs in the two slots so as tighter leverage could be maintained on a tight bushing. After the nut was removed reinserting the bushing prongs was an easier removal of the bushing. Makes sense. Watching Bob's spanner wrench video he stressed that you need to loosen the bushing first, then the nut, then the bushing comes off. That's what threw me for a loop after looking at Robopumps tool and some of the other 'home brew' tools that have been posted. Still would be interested in some of Bob's from CD tools if available, also Robopump's.
81police

Post by 81police »

As far as I know no one is currently manufacturing barrel takedown tools!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator