Ammunition ???

Posts about the Model 8
rem81auto

Ammunition ???

Post by rem81auto »

This would apply to 8's and 81's. I sold my 300 Sav. 81 and everything I now own are 8's in 35 Rem. I would like the boards consenus on what's been the best shooting over the counter Ammo for deer hunting. The brand name , bullet weight etc. tks Dennis

P.S
I have no intention of reloading.
45guy

Re: Ammunition ???

Post by 45guy »

I've never used them out of an 8 or 81, but the 200 grain Remington Core-lokt's work great out of a 336.
"The sound of shot sweeping through the air toward you is impressive though. I'll give you that. It's like being swatted with the broom of God."
Silvermino

Post by Silvermino »

I hunted with a model 8 for over 30 years using Remington 200 grain. Never had a deer survive the hit. Try it you will like it.
Behemotosh

Post by Behemotosh »

rem81auto,

I can readily (Nevada and Kalifornia) get 35 Rem in 170 and 200 grain in Remington Core-lokt. I like both, but the 200 grain is like throwing a window weight at them-knocks them down like Silvermino says, but knocks me down too.....

I have a very good Federal Firearms guy that can order the stuff and get it in a couple of weeks. Last year, he would order it, however, it would not never come in. So, I think things are loosening up a bit on the ammo side of the equation.

Good luck with the ammo.
Shoot straight!
Behemotosh
81police

Post by 81police »

My vote is for 200 grain soft point Remington Core-lokt's as well.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
gramps35

Post by gramps35 »

As many others have said, 200 gr Remington Core-Lokts are your best bet.

I've tried Federal's Power Shock 200 grainers and every magazine would have one or two that wouldn't feed right. I compared the rounds and found the Federal rounds were slightly shorter than the Remington rounds. Not a lot, about the thickness of a credit card, but it's apparently enough to effect feeding.

I have a box of Hornaday Leveroution ammo that I haven't tried yet. After reading some things online I'm a little reluctant to use it in my Model 8.