Stuck Bolt: pulled back too far?

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
LyingBastard

Stuck Bolt: pulled back too far?

Post by LyingBastard »

So I reassembled my Model 8, at least the non-barrel side of the business. I felt the bolt was dragging a bit so I lubed its outside before sliding it in.

I cycled it a bit carefully since I found some of the parts wanted to fall off if the trigger housing (lower receiver for the AR crowd :lol: ) was not in place. FYI I inserted trigger housing with hammer down and bolt forward so hammer could fall into the cutout in the bolt housing tail.

After securing the recoil spring back in the tube with little pin and then installing the buttstock, I pulled the bolt back...

...and it is stuck there.
Remington_Model8_06-sm.jpg
Remington_Model8_06-sm.jpg (142.4 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
The attachment Remington_Model8_08-sm.jpg is no longer available
I thought it was bolt hold open, so I pressed to no avail. Then I pressed the magazine follower and nothing.
Remington_Model8_07-sm.jpg
Remington_Model8_07-sm.jpg (96.78 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Short of tapping the charging handle, what else can I try? Right now I already removed the recoil spring and the buttstock in preparation for removing the trigger housing.
Attachments
Remington_Model8_08-sm.jpg
Remington_Model8_08-sm.jpg (142.62 KiB) Viewed 3325 times
Phyrbird

Re: Stuck Bolt: pulled back too far?

Post by Phyrbird »

Most likely it's because the barrel is not in battery position & installed. The bolt lock lever is released by the barrel in the forward position, with round in the magazine the mag follower does not engage the bolt stop. Try this: install barrel, pull back on bolt handle, push bolt release button down on left above trigger . Hang to bolt. It should spring forward. If you do this with the barrel removed the slam of the bolt can break the bolt handle out of the bolt, be careful.
Phyrbird
SOKY
lonerockut

Re: Stuck Bolt: pulled back too far?

Post by lonerockut »

If your not careful the bolt head will slide back and rotate on some of the well used bolts preventing it from going forward even when you try to actuate the barrel lever and the magazine lock. The lugs should be up and down and out to about the edge of the two fingers on the bottom. I would release the spring pressure first. Then, you can usually get a hold of the extractor and pull it and the bolt head forward and this should allow it to release. At least that has been how it works on my old 1907 Frankenstein 300 sav model 8.