Scoped Model 81

Posts about the Model 81~Woodsmaster~
Sarge756

Scoped Model 81

Post by Sarge756 »

Have had this 81 in 300 Sav for several years and was on the lookout for a scope for it. I wanted it to fit the rifle and not overpower it. Found this Williams Guideline 2x6 variable with duplex reticle. Not a lot of history available on this branded scope but I would think probably made in Japan during the 70`s 80`s. It is bright and clear with pretty generous eye-relief. If you have fired an 81 in this caliber you know that eye-relief is important. Also with the adjustment turrents on most scopes needing to be turned opposite normal position to allow clearance of ejected cases a straight crosswire or duplex reticle is required.
The base and integral rings is a Weaver #162. The 162 was designed to be used on Remington 742 and 760 rifles. It is a pivot mount that allows the scope to swing to the left and allow the shooter to use iron sights for close shots. Here it is utilized as an off center side mount on the 81 and there is no reason to swing it out of the way to use the iron sights. Though designed for a different rifle the contour of the mount fits the curvature of the 81 receiver very well. Just another way to put a scope on our favorite rifles so even with bad eyes we can enjoy them.

Joe
Attachments
IMG_3570.JPG
IMG_3570.JPG (94.23 KiB) Viewed 19978 times
IMG_3563.JPG
IMG_3563.JPG (89.65 KiB) Viewed 19978 times
IMG_3562.JPG
IMG_3562.JPG (95.28 KiB) Viewed 19978 times
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Sarge756

Re: Scoped Model 81

Post by Sarge756 »

Another photo showing the pivot feature and position of the base. Also as I suspected the scope was made in Japan.I found small stamping underside.
Joe
Attachments
IMG_3573.JPG
IMG_3573.JPG (102.28 KiB) Viewed 19974 times
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Nice setup, Joe - looks great!
Hope you have fun with your "new" scoped 81 in Florida. My mom would have you use it to great effect on some 'gators that spook her on her walks near her house in Fort Meade. :roll: She is near the Peace River, I believe.

Did that 81 come with the checkering? Is it a B model?

Take care!
Adam Lee
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

'A' model Adam. When I got it Bubba had been at work and drilled a few holes. The forend was damaged where a sling swivel had been mounted and had split out a piece about inch an a half long from the tip end. The receiver had been drilled for an unknown mount. The forend was repaired with an inlay of matching wood and the checkering pattern was extended to hide the repair. The Weaver pivot mount was chosen because I was able to line up two of the holes with it saving extra drill and tap and it covered the extra holes. If it had been perfect with no extra holes I would probably not have considered putting a scope on it. Guess I should say, "Thanks Bubba wherever you are for an 81 I can take hunting".
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Checkering Photos
Attachments
IMG_3575.JPG
IMG_3575.JPG (39.41 KiB) Viewed 19960 times
IMG_3574.JPG
IMG_3574.JPG (38.3 KiB) Viewed 19960 times
81police

Post by 81police »

Lookin good!!!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Interesting solution to the scope issue. I see Bubba damacened the bolt as well.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Nope...when I had it apart for the cleaning and lubrication I had just jeweled a half dozen mauser bolts and decided what the heck and did the 81 also. No harm..If I tire of it or ever decide to sell it can be returned to original with a polish.
Joe
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

You've got a few Mauser projects in the works, sounds like! :D

I'm about to get myself back into the "Mauser mode" in the near future as well, with my eyes on a 7mm project.
I have no idea if my Mauser project will be ground-up, sourcing a new barrel and a receiver, or if I'm just going to look for a decent South American 7x57 as is.

Back to your scoped 81: you've reminded me that I need to get myself the proper side mount and vintage scope for the 81 Krieger I have waiting for me in pieces in my tool room! :roll:

Let us know how she runs once you get a chance.

Adam
I am a regular joe, consisting of 78% coffee, 12% hot air, 9% organizational abilities, and 1% luck.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Have to admit the mausers are dear to my heart also. I look around and wonder sometimes where all of them came from. Some were ground up builds and others bought after previous owner had done the work or paid to have it built. Right now with the fear of wholesale restrictions on firearms eased it is a buyers market. If I were looking for a 7x57 I`d opt for a completed custom vs a build.There are some real bargains out there right now. Custom built guns have much in common with old car restorations. Have done both and other than having the satisfaction of doing it yourself the $$$ spent are never recovered.
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

My gunsmith is building me a custom 7mm Mauser. Should be ready in six months or so.
Adam Lee

Post by Adam Lee »

Bandersnatch wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm My gunsmith is building me a custom 7mm Mauser. Should be ready in six months or so.
@Bandersnatch - would you be posting anything about this in the future, on this board, or any other? I'd be very interested in following once you have the gun on hand.

What receiver is the basis? New or old? I think Mauser 98's in general are about as "tinker toy-like" as AR-15's in some ways. Love how one can mix and match parts, customize to heart's content, and come up with nice hunting or target shooters in so many ways.

Have fun!
Adam
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Adam Lee wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 4:00 am
Bandersnatch wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 8:36 pm My gunsmith is building me a custom 7mm Mauser. Should be ready in six months or so.
@Bandersnatch - would you be posting anything about this in the future, on this board, or any other? I'd be very interested in following once you have the gun on hand.

What receiver is the basis? New or old? I think Mauser 98's in general are about as "tinker toy-like" as AR-15's in some ways. Love how one can mix and match parts, customize to heart's content, and come up with nice hunting or target shooters in so many ways.

Have fun!
Adam
I'll keep Yall updated. He just got the wood in, so he has a bit of work ahead. When he has it roughed in and the metal bits put together we shall head to the range to check accuracy. The last thing is the blueing and checkering, which should be most pretty.

I found a 98 action at an auction for cheap and most of the other parts at Brownells. 7mm Mauser. I told my smith that it must be light, slender, fast handling, accurate and beautiful. I found a beautiful piece of red American walnut, the metal will be dark blue-black and the bolt in the white. Topped with a Zeiss Conquest it will be the most elegant deer and pig slayer in the woods.