The Inventor

TNrifleman

Re: The Inventor

Post by TNrifleman »

Very interesting info, Pack. JMB is arguably the greatest firearms designer that ever lived. His creations have had more influence on firearms design and manufacture that any other person. He also did it without the aid of computers, CAD software, CNC machining centers, modern steels, etc. Simply amazing!
canuck

Post by canuck »

http://www.jwidle.com/browning.html

I've got a hardcover book that I picked up at a gunshow years ago called
"John M Browning - American Gunmaker" (witten by John Browning Jr. and Curt Gentry, Doubleday 1964).
It is a fantastic, historical account of JMB's life and has lists of every patent he applied for.
If you ever see a copy, snag it as its a great read (and partly responsible for my Model 8 addiction :lol: )
30Gov03

Post by 30Gov03 »

canuck wrote:http://www.jwidle.com/browning.html

I've got a hardcover book that I picked up at a gunshow years ago called
"John M Browning - American Gunmaker" (witten by John Browning Jr. and Curt Gentry, Doubleday 1964).
It is a fantastic, historical account of JMB's life and has lists of every patent he applied for.
If you ever see a copy, snag it as its a great read (and partly responsible for my Model 8 addiction :lol: )
Truly a fascinating account of the man and his guns, but the list of patents is far from complete. John M. Browning held at least 126 U.S. Patents (34 held jointly with his brother Matthew S. Browning, and 49 of which do not receive mention in the book), in addition to several european patents (most of which were duplications of U.S. patents, but at least one which was never patented in the U.S.). Additionally, there were at least ten more known complete firearms he designed which were never patented.

Another interesting book, although rather limited in scope, is "The Browning Connection", published in 1982 by the Buffalo Bill Historical Center, Cody, WY. It highlights 27 of Browning's patents which Winchester purchased but never put into production.

If you ever have the opportunity, I highly recommend visiting the John M. Browning Museum in Ogden, UT. All surviving original models of Browning's firearms designs, except for those put into production by Winchester (which now reside in the collection at Cody, WY), are on display there, along with other memorabilia from Browning's life and times.

Jim
model8man

Post by model8man »

John Browning killed more men with a slide rule, compass and pencil than any man in history.