Model 8 .30 Remington

Posts about the Model 8
kenhwind

Model 8 .30 Remington

Post by kenhwind »

Bought but picked up a Remington Model 8 today. Not too bad bore looks good, has replacement wood and a Redfield receiver sight. I guess i have some work to do, but this looks like it will be a nice rifle. Yes, yes, I know the routine pictures, pictures, pictures.
KEN
tinstarfirearms

Re: Model 8 .30 Remington

Post by tinstarfirearms »

Congratulations on your purchase. I also purchased a Model 8 in .30 Remington lately and I finally fired it this past weekend. I reload so I bought dies and brass then used components from my .30-30 loading to assemble some rounds. I was impressed by the light recoil and the fact that the brass were dropped nearly at my feet.

I have not posted any photos either but it is a neat rifle.

Andrew
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

*cough*pics*cough*
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Pictures asap.
The barrel jacket is apart, kind of grungy inside as can be expected, came right apart too. Nice bore.

I had bought a Model 8 .32 Rem. barrel assembly, and then bought an 8 in .25. While having the two barrel assemblies was neat it was more of a hassle imo then just having two rifles. The .32 is quite limited in bullet selection and boring to reload. We do have a Winchester .32 Special. When I had that 30-30 Rem barrel listed on eBay I exchanged messages with someone who was looking for a barrel, so I offered up my .32 assembly. Well not one to leave well enough alone I bought this .30.
KEN
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

You sold half a rifle and got a whole rifle? Sweet.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Here is a few pictures:
A previous owner put some kill notches in the buttplate, the stock screw will not thread in, and I have a correct takedown screw. It looks like the stock needs to be moved forward slightly, I had it off and the screw threads in the tang are fine. Barrel assembly cleaned up nice, need to do receiver next.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Been fitting the stock today, the forearm is real close. I took of the buttplate and CBR is stamped on the end of the stock.

I got the stock fit pretty good yesterday, but someone had over drilled the stock screw hole so I cheated and moved the hole forward slightly. Forearm takedown screw is a bit short as the forearm is larger then factory.

Shot some reloads out of it today and a few W-W Silvertips I have. Shoots good put seems to prefer 170 grain bullets. Overall quite pleased.
KEN
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Finally got some Tru-Oil on the stock and forearm. Haven't installed a butt swivel because the one I got from Gun Parts the swivel is crooked. Because the stock has a sling swivel I put a Judd barrel band swivel on the barrel. I doubt if I'll sling the rifle, but it looks kind of neat.
KEN
81police

Post by 81police »

What an improvement, thanks for the pictures. Looking good sir!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator