Pics of 8 or 81 with Williams 5D or FP-SSM peep sight

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
DirtyHarry44

Pics of 8 or 81 with Williams 5D or FP-SSM peep sight

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

Got my first Browning auto coming in a couple months, a Remington 81 in 35Rem.
It's got a Weaver detachable side mount with a Weaver K4.
Since you are not allowed to hunt big game in PA with an auto, (would absolutely love to use the 81 for deer) I figure it will make a great 'Bummin around the woods gun'.
I'm thinking an 8 in 25Rem might be a cool gun for coyote, but maybe an AR in 223 Wylde would be a better choice.
(Don't have an AR yet, and with the political climate I should probably pick what I want up sooner rather than later.
Problem is that right now my tastes are older JMB stuff and military sporters/originals, which I suppose are safe.
For now atleast.
I'm thinking a peep sight would be perfect for a woods gun. Although my gun is already tapped for a Marbles tang sight, I think of that more as a hunting peep and the prices are a little crazy.
Figure a receiver sight would be best as there is no need to fold it into position. It's always ready if I need to use the rifle quickly.
The only new manufactured peep sight I found is the Williams 5D-SSM and FP-SSM for square bridged shotguns and the Remington 8/81. Leaning toward the FP-SSM since it has micrometer adjustments, and ordering target knobs also.
Is this a good setup, or should I look into the 5D-SSM which doesn't have the internal micrometer adjustments as a better woods setup?
I would like to see any pics of this type of setup on an 8/81, haven't been able to find any.

Thanks for any help or recommendations you can give.
81police

Re: Pics of 8 or 81 with Williams 5D or FP-SSM peep sight

Post by 81police »

Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
DirtyHarry44

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

Thanks, but unfortunately none of those pics show a Williams side mount peep sight.
Figured more people would have them on their 8/81 as it seems to be the only peep still made that fits the Remington.
ROBOPUMP

Post by ROBOPUMP »

I have a Williams FP-SSM. It is brand new in the box with all paperwork. I will take $55.00 for it shipped First Class USPS. Contact me if interested. r.bowden@sbcglobal.net
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I don't recall seeing all that many Model 8 or 81s with the Williams SSM sight on them. I have seen a few shotguns either with them or with the three holes needed to mount it. If you 81 has a scope mount on it its already been drilled.

If you want a model 8 or 81 with a receiver sight buy one that already has one on it. The correct receiver sights for the 8 and 81 are like the tang sights kind of hard to find but they are not nearly as expensive. But to mount the Williams or Redding receiver sights you still have to drill the receiver.
KEN
DirtyHarry44

Post by DirtyHarry44 »

It's already got the weaver detachable scope mount on it.
There are also a couple of plugged holes toward the back of the receiver.
The holes look close to the spacing needed for an SSM, if not drilling more isn't a big deal since it's a not a virgin receiver.
While the 81 is already setup for a Marbles R6, there is a big difference in price between it and a Williams.
The R6 and most other sights are going for $200-$300, I can get a new Williams for $35-$55.
Maybe I will just stick with the adjustable Marbles barrel sight I got for $10. (Even stock rear sights are going for over $100).
If I were to find a decent priced older receiver sight I would gladly go for that.
Something like the Williams or Redfield that mounts on the tang/rear of the receiver. I like the way those Lyman gear ratchet sights look, but they are either priced high or in bad shape.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Harry,
Got sight, wanna trade :?: :?: I have 2 extras, only need one...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3837&p=19004&sid=52 ... e43#p19004

Need forearm screw for restore project
Would like a 35Rem barrel & nut for same.
Got 35Rem buffer spacer & recoil spring, need buffer spring
Would like front part of Stith scope mount for my "not" Krieger swap barrel project. Got one, would like a 1" set Xtra too.
Looking for a nice broomhandle wood holster too.
Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY