remington 25-35 questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
doclane

remington 25-35 questions

Post by doclane »

looked at one at the gun show today a friend has serial number 1554x what year is it? bolt is marked 25-35 he said you can shoot 25-35 winchester in it???? is he right . and the side is not marked model 8 its blank. i rember something about the barrel on early ones to look for but that was years ago can any one help. thanks
Sarge756

Re: remington 25-35 questions

Post by Sarge756 »

Nope, the guy at the Gunshow may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express but he doesn`t know what he is talking about. The chamberings for the model eight that share virtually the same ballistics as those offered by Winchester
are: 25 Remington (25-35 Win), 30 Remington (30-30 Winchester) and 32 Remington (32 Win Special). The Remington chamber uses a semi-rimmed round and is headspaced off the shoulder. The Winchester cartridges are full rimmed and headspaced off the rim. The confusion occurs with some of the early rifles in that they were stamped with 25-35 instead of 25 Rem. This is also the case with the 30 Rem being stamped 30-30 Rem. Iv`e not seen anything but correct stamping of the 32 Rem. Now you know more than the guy at the Gunshow.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

The year of manufacture of the Model 8 you looked at was 1909. If you press the "Home" button and select topics from the pages you can read all about ammo,dates of manufacture and other items of interest about these rifles.

Joe
doclane

Post by doclane »

thanks Joe the stamp on the early ones is on the bolt or the barrel ? whats it worth he's wanting 400.00 with no pitting but not much blueing left and the normal cracked forearm.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

The 25`s are the most desirable of the different calibers. In the condition you described I don`t think you would be sorry that you bought it for that figure.
Joe
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Stampings can be on the bolt or the band in front of the receiver.
doclane

Post by doclane »

Thanks Joe i think i'll get it tomorrow it will look good next to my 1908 35 rem. pre 8. any help finding some ammo will be the next step. thanks Doc Lane
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I have one, buy it. I paid a bit more then $400 for mine but it had a Lyman tang sight on it, and as they are selling on eBay for about $250 I did OK. The bore is a bit rough but after cleaning and shooting and cleaning some more the bore is looking not so bad, and it shoots nice.

If you reload Grafs & Sons has brass as well as Redding dies. That was the route I took. Current produced ammo can be bought on GunBroker or from Wisconsin Cartridge.

In my case I had bought a Model 8 32 Remington barrel assembly on eBay so now I needed a rifle. At first I looked for a 30 Remington, but then it dawned on me to look for a .25 so I bought one. Changing barrel assemblies at the range was more trouble then it was worth it to me, and an ebay member was looking for a .30 barrel so I offered him my .32 barrel assembly and dies.

Not to be one to leave thing be I now have a Model 8 in .30 Remington on lay-a-way.
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Whups
Jackitis agin :!:
Phyrbird
SOKY