First time buyer

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Cptn Jack

First time buyer

Post by Cptn Jack »

Mod 81 30 rem 1936 3 digit looks like good or better..but i dont know what else to look for...any tips for a 1st timer..

Not up to speed on autoloaders

Many thx. CJ
Hardrada55

Re: First time buyer

Post by Hardrada55 »

What to look for on a Model 81 made in 1936? First consideration is condition. Overall condition...bluing should be that shinier blue that was used before 1942 rather than the duller blue you see on guns from the end of production. Bolt and bolt handle should not be blued. If you've seen a bunch of these, you can tell if it's been re-blued. Check for empty holes on the receiver and upper tang. .300 Savage wasn't added to the 81 until WW2 so it's a .35, a .32 or a .30 Remington. Supposedly just a few 81s in .25 Remington were made early on, so very rare. .35 Remington ammo is still made, so that one would be a plus if you intend to shoot it any. They quit making .30 Remington in 1997 and .32 Remington in the late 70s. So that ammo is progressively more difficult to come by. What grade gun are you buying? "A" grade is the plain Jane standard rifle. "C" grade rifles have Remington applied checkering patterns to the wrist and forearm and a better quality wood. Even higher grade rifles, they were engraved to varying degrees. I personally like tang mounted peep sights, so if it's got one of those, it's a plus in my eyes. Receiver sights, for me, not so much. Check the back and front sights to see if they're aftermarket replacements. Function, 8s and 81s are difficult to discern whether they are shootable or not without actually shooting them. Lord knows, I've bought my share of 8s and pretty 81s only to find out when I tried to shoot it that someone had re-assembled it incorrectly. You're rolling the dice. Good luck.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
Cptn Jack

Post by Cptn Jack »

Many thx for the tips yes its a re blue job..looks well done but lord only knows what thats hiding!

The shop has a gunsmith that i will ask to give me his opinion..after that like u said its a roll of the dice

It is a plain jane model 30 rem asking price $299..hope its not a wall hanger

Thx again. CJ
Wildgoose

Post by Wildgoose »

If it turns out to be a shooter at that price its a very good buy!
Almost forgot to mention that brass for the 30 Rem Auto is available from Graf & Son but its not cheep at a buck a case. But if you are into hand loading its a way to be able to shoot this caliber. You can use the same load data that applies to the 30-30 Rem.