Rookie report part 3 continued

New Member Introductions
jim c 351

Rookie report part 3 continued

Post by jim c 351 »

Here are the tools I came up with to work on the barrel jacket.
The hex nut is bored out to fit over the barrel nut and is used to remove/replace the barrel nut and barrel jacket bushing.
The wooden dowel is a 1/2 inch dowel inserted in a 3/4 inch dowel and lathe turned to fit inside the barrel jacket bushing.
Makes a hard job very easy.
Hope you enjoyed my presentation.
Jim C
Attachments
IMG_0003_3.JPG
IMG_0003_3.JPG (55.23 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
IMG_0002_3.JPG
IMG_0002_3.JPG (46.15 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
IMG_0001_3.JPG
IMG_0001_3.JPG (60 KiB) Viewed 14711 times
darrylta

Re: Rookie report part 3 continued

Post by darrylta »

Jim,
That look's like what I had in mind. I wonder if you could make me one.
Let me know the cost if you care to tackle another set.
Darryl
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

Good one, simple & functional. :idea: :idea:

Nuts, :lol: now my 3/4 deepwall socket idea is obsolete.. :oops: .. wish I had a mill to make those cuts on a G8 nut. :roll:
Phyrbird
SOKY
81police

Post by 81police »

That's the way to go!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Excellent!
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
Mucky Pigeon

Post by Mucky Pigeon »

Hi All, brand new to your forum. I just purchased my first 2 Model 81's,both in .35.
I am on the hunt for a barrel break down tool and came across the one made out of the G8 Hex Nut made by Jim.
Jim, if you see this please contact me, I would love to purchase one of these from you. Thanks Doug B.
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I too am interested, price??
I have a winchester choke tube out of sheet metal that does good; it just won't hold up on a stubborn barrel nut. & a heavy duty barrel bushing tool would help too.

Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY
Eaglelakefisherman

Post by Eaglelakefisherman »

Hello All, According to John Henwood, author of The Great Remington 8, (page 179); a Winchester Winchoke 12 gauge shotgun tube wrench is his recommended solution; ("provided the barrel nut is not completely rusted in place"). He further indicates, "After the barrel nut is removed.....use the forked end of the spanner wrench to unscrew the barrel jacket bushing." "The blade of a machinist's square or the handle of the Winchoke wrench may be used to turn the bushing in lieu of the spanner wrench". I'm guessing this process works well IF your barrel nut is not rusted in place.
uhjohnson

Post by uhjohnson »

The blade of a machinist's square works great with a 16 inch adjustable wrench. Be careful not to use too much force and loosen the pin in the barrel jacket/barrel jacket head that aligns them. As a matter of fact I would not loosen the BJ while it is still in the receiver of the gun. I have just loosened two stubborn BJB(s) by snuggling the BJ in the jaws of a suede leather lined vise using the BJ FOREND NUT against one vise jaw to prevent the BJ from turning. The BJ FOREARM NUT apparently was not sold separately by Remington because it is part (soldered) of the barrel jacket. It is not numbered on the exploded view. Push against The machinist square blade with one hand while turning the adjustable wrench with the other.
[b]Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830[/b]

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon
60DRB

Post by 60DRB »

Beretta has a choke tool that looks similar to the Winchester tool . Wonder if that would work.