Model 8 peep sight issue

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
mart

Model 8 peep sight issue

Post by mart »

I have a Model 8 in 25 Remington with the Lyman 1 A AT receiver sight. The issue I have is it is no windage adjustable and to get zeroed requires me to drift the front sight nearly out of its slot. Any thoughts on how to manipulate the rear sight to bring the rifle to zero. I've tried shims but it takes quite a bit and they don't stay in place real well. I have toyed with the idea of drilling and tapping the right side of the sight base and installing a set screw to lift that side, effectively tipping the sight to the left, the direction it needs to go. What are your thoughts on this issue. I'm not up for drilling and tapping the left side of the receiver for a more modern and more adjustable sight. I'm not worried about the value on the Lyman sight as I'd rather have a sight I can adjust and use with this rifle than one that just looks good but cannot be zeroed. Thanks for any suggestions and help.

Mart

Sarge756

Re: Model 8 peep sight issue

Post by Sarge756 »

You are not alone with this problem. I`m in agreement with you having gone through the same thing. Looking cool doesn`t make up for shootability. Windage adjustable Lyman 1A`s were made but have never seen one for a Model 8. Last one I had was on a 99 Savage I sold several months ago. What to do? Not much with what you have. If some one else has a solution would love to hear it. "Kentucky Windage" was what I had to do.
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

If your going to drill & tap consider a Williams 5D, they have considerable windage. The sight mounts on the left side of the receiver and wings over the top.
Phyrbird
SOKY
ranman

Post by ranman »

[img]
IMG_2281.JPG
IMG_2281.JPG (233.57 KiB) Viewed 15153 times
This is a Redfield tang sight and it has windage adjustment,perfect for those guns that are problematic. I have two that have these and I definitely would buy another.
doublecanister

Post by doublecanister »

Question - my Lyman 1A tang sight is in the down position and I can't seem to figure out how to flip it up. What am I missing? Is there a mechanism that pops it up?
Todd
Remington Model 8, .35 Rem (1909)
Remington Model 8, .32 Rem (1926)
Remington Model 81, .35 Rem (1937)
Remington Model 81, .35 Rem (1941)
Remington Model 81, .300 Savage (1946)
Remington Model 81, 35 Rem (1948)
Bandersnatch

Post by Bandersnatch »

Brass shims under either side of the sight will adjust the windage.
I am the cat who walks by himself. And all places are alike to me.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

I would not mount one of the Williams 5D side mount receiver sights on one of these rifles.
I also would not alter one of the Model 8 tang sights as they sell for at least $225.00 on eBay.

We have two with receiver sights, one is a Williams that I acquired on eBay and it requires drilling two holes in the back of the receiver. The Model 81 I put this on already had four holes in the side of the receiver for some scope mount, so I hardly ruined anything. The other is a Model 8 .25 that I bought and it had the Lyman tang sight on it, but I had one of the Redfield sights as pictured. It only requires drilling one hole.

If I were inclined to be drilling any holes in a decent Model 8 or 81 I'd get one of the Redfield sights.
KEN
mart

Post by mart »

If I could find one of those Redfield sights for a model 8 I'd be all over it. I've looked for two years for one.

I will not be drilling and tapping this rifle for a Williams side mount receiver sight. It doesn't have any holes in the receiver other than the one for the Lyman and I'd like to keep it that way.

The drilling and tapping I would be doing would be in the sight itself so that I could use a small set screw to tip the sight to the left. The sight is essentially worthless to me at this point as I have to drift the front sight almost out of the slot to bring it to zero.

Brass shims do not stay in place no matter how tight I screw the sight down. I tried that already.
ranman

Post by ranman »

Mart the last options would,be to change out the sight for another as sometimes the bottom contour differ or hand fit the base of the sight you have to mate with the receiver. I have done both these with good success.
81police

Post by 81police »

Have you thought about ditching the tang sight altogether and going with a full buckhorn rear sight? It's peepish (I just made that word up) and could be a nice comprise. Just an idea.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
mart

Post by mart »

I've thought about replacing the original rear sight but my 58 year old eyes much prefer the receiver sight closer to the eye. I don't seem to shoot as well with the buckhorn rear sight on the barrel.
curdog

Post by curdog »

Check to make sure the barrel jacket is in alignment, or there is not damage to the shroud or front of the receiver causing misalignment. Also look at the crown.
If that's all straight, check the bore - it may be bent.
You can bend the barrel slightly to align the sights, if everything else checks out.
mart

Post by mart »

I checked all that. The gun groups exceptionally well just way to the right. with the current rear sight. I'll keep looking for a replacement.
mart

Post by mart »

I scored a Redfield 102 for a model 8 today on eBay. When I get home from the slope I'll put it on and put the Lyman up for sale.