25-35 R / .32 R Barrel Assemblies

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
kenhwind

25-35 R / .32 R Barrel Assemblies

Post by kenhwind »

As I posted in the Model 8 Forum I have a Model 8 barrel assembly in 32 Remington and bought a Model 8 in 25-35 Remington.
Should I have any concerns about swapping barrel assemblies?
Headspace, etc?

The .32 assembly does fit into the 25-35 receiver.
KEN
curdog

Re: 25-35 R / .32 R Barrel Assemblies

Post by curdog »

I have that combination with one receiver, and everything works fine.

The critical recoil springs are the ones in the jacket.
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Finally shot the Model 8 25-25 Friday and it shoots pretty good for an old gun with a worn bore. I haven't ordered the .32 Remington dies and cases yet, so I have not shot it yet.

The primers backed out of the .25 brass, and I have serious doubts if it was caused by pressure. Three loads, W760; H4198; and IMR 4064 using WLR primers and Hornady's 117 RN, their data and Winchester 25-35 data. Redding .25 Remington dies & shellholder. The light loads had more primer push back then the heavier loads. I did a search of the forum and gathered read the posts on this.

I instinctively full length resized the brass and now know that I should not have. Maybe I shouldn't have sized it all. The Redding die instructions mention that the dies are manufactured to resize to SAAMI minimum, and that some chambers are larger as much as 0.010. Of course they are peddling their Competition shellholders.

I have some Winchester Super-Speed .30 Remington here and the primers are crimped in place, and I also notice that my .300 Savage brass has the primers backed out slightly. These Model 8 & 81 must stretch when fired.
KEN
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

This could resolve headspace questions:
New link to Hornady case headspace measuring tool.

https://www.hornady.com/reloading/preci ... l-base-kit#!/
Phyrbird
SOKY
kenhwind

Post by kenhwind »

Well I do not see ant indication of the resizing die hitting the case shoulder on these fired .25 Rem. brass even full length resizing. I wonder if maybe the Quality Cartridge / Graf brass was a bit short. My brass is fire formed now and I've set the die with a 0.10 feeler gauge. I'm also going to order some more brass and bullets.

I'm not questioning Quality Cartridge but the brass where the shoulder met the case body seemed a bit strange, kind of like when a reload is over crimped and there is a slight bulge there. I did find a cartridge drawing so I can compare the new brass with that.
KEN