FN 1900 #55 ----- CUSTOM

81police

FN 1900 #55 ----- CUSTOM

Post by 81police »

Many of y'all saw this rifle at auction a while back. Our friend Jack was the lucky bidder to win the auction. It is indeed unique, and according to Jack the pictures didn't do the rifle justice. Here's a few for appetizers and I'll let Jack tell you more about the gun...
Attachments
IMG_1240_1.jpg
IMG_1240_1.jpg (49.21 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
19931.jpeg copy.jpg
19931.jpeg copy.jpg (655.81 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
19924.jpeg copy.jpg
19924.jpeg copy.jpg (237.28 KiB) Viewed 11013 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Re: FN 1900 #55 ----- CUSTOM

Post by 81police »

cool peep
Attachments
19946.jpeg
19946.jpeg (33.17 KiB) Viewed 11012 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
81police

Post by 81police »

Jack's replacement operating handle bushing and internals!!!
Attachments
1487953127918.jpg
1487953127918.jpg (30.79 KiB) Viewed 11004 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Guys,

Let me start by saying a big Thanks to 81police for posting some pictures for me. I sent him 33 pictures and let him pick the ones he wanted to post. If you want to see others, make a request and we will see what we can do.

Well another FN has found its way to me. As I posted in another thread, I thought I had lost the bidding war, but got another chance and this time I was successful. The good od USPS put the transaction in jeapordy but after 5 weeks the money orders finally arrived. The seller was very understanding and patient with the delay.

It is my belief that this FN was rifle was sent to an independent gunsmith for the custom features that are exhibited on the rifle. I had talked to three other forum members who were of the same opinion when the rifle was listed the first time. Upon close inspection when I had the rifle in hand, I am certain that this is the case. I will be taking the rifle to The Gunshow in Tulsa to have the Creamers inspect and give their opinion about the rifle.

I have taken the rifle down for a good cleaning and inspection. Many of the internal components are serial numbered to the rifle and almost all pieces have been stamped with inspection marks. I do believe that some of the features on the rifle were done after the rifle left the factory. One such feature is the work on the forearm. We all know of rifles with the schnable forearms that have cracked. This forearm shows a crack on the inside of the forearm where the hole is to accept the takedown lever. It is my belief that the screw which has matching head and cap were added to prevent the split from getting larger and coming through to the outside of the forearm. I think it was this event that led to the engraving of the other screw heads on the rifle because they are the same style. The engraving of the screw heads and caps is not the same style as other engraved screws that are on the FN Browning A-5 shot guns.

The standard butt plate on the rifle has been replaced with a metal butt plate that has had the edge engraved. This engraving is of the same style that appears on the safety lever, the barrel shroud and metal on the forearm.

The metal on the rifle is in excellent condition and retains 98-99% of the original bluing on the barrel assembly. There are indications that the rifle had been tapped for a scope mount but the holes have been welded and filed smooth to the receiver and blued to match the receiver. One of the best jobs I have seen in filling scope mounting holes. I found the two holes when I removed the bolt and could see where the taps had been.

The rear peep sight is a flip sight soldered to the top of the receiver and when in the down position does not interfere with the standard rear sight.

The wood is in excellent condition with the checkering crisp and sharp with no dents.

That is about all I can think of at the moment

Regards,

jack1653
Roger

Post by Roger »

Hey guys,first off,thanks to Cam for posting the pictures. Second,congrats to Jack on another FN 1900 added to his collection. I sure hope that my son's and I can make it back to Tulsa in a few weeks. Jack,I'm looking forward to hooking up with you and the Creamers.Hoping to see this latest FN at Tulsa. I'm planning on emailing Brian to ask about any pieces they may be bringing to the show. Congrats again, Jack.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
ranman

Post by ranman »

The take down latch on the forearm is a great addition. Old world craftsmanship is the way all the fns were build but this one is a cut above. Great score Jack!
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Jack, You didn`t mention the Cartridge trap. I want one for my Ross. I`ll be taking some measurements when I hopefully hold this beautiful custom this summer at the farm. You ARE :roll: going to let us shoot it a little?
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

A Beut :!: :!:
It's rare to see this level of custom on these rifles. Congrats
Phyrbird
SOKY