Conflicting date codes on my Model 8

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
jacob3

Conflicting date codes on my Model 8

Post by jacob3 »

The serial # 50127 puts it at 1924 I believe.
The date code on the Jacket Head is ( D S ) which I believe is 1925. The caliber is 35 Remington and there is no model number ( 8 or 81) on the left side of receiver and no extra holes added.

What would be the correct manufacture date, Sept 1925 or 1924?
Yes, I am new and just joined a week or so before ordering this rifle. It has been reblued and looks to be in great shape on the outside. The serial number seems to be the same on the stamped parts all tho I have not removed the stock. It is supposed to be all number matching. I do not see any repair code on the Jacket Head. When we make the Bbl and Bbl shroud take down tools we will see about cleaning and lubrication.
I have only shot Remington 150gr. core-lokt in it and it shoots nice. Also I think it is going to be like potato chips. :D

Hope you fellows can inform/educate me on the date codes.
Thanks
jacob3
Hardrada55

Re: Conflicting date codes on my Model 8

Post by Hardrada55 »

According to Henwood, serial number 50127 was probably "shipped" from the factory 1924. Shipped where? For sale or for final assembly or what? According to Henwood, the receiver was probably manufactured between May and June of 1923. DS indicates "production" or possibly "assembly" in September of 1925. The book, "The Great 8 and 81" by Henwood is a very nice resource to have and explains alot.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60
jacob3

Post by jacob3 »

Hardrada55, thank you for the quick reply. I do plan on buying Henwoods book. I do not know if I need to get the latest printing or not.

Does your reply mean that this rifle would be called an 1924 year of manufacture or a 1925. Some of my buddy's would like to know and likewise I would also like to be as certain as I can. I think that it would be 1924. Sorry for my apparent confusion and slowness.

jacob3
81police

Post by 81police »

Date the gun by the date code (when present)
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jacob3

Post by jacob3 »

Cam,I thank you very much and I bet I will always remember this info

jacob3