Havent heard of this any where

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
Caxcape

Havent heard of this any where

Post by Caxcape »

First of all,let me thank the ones responsible for this wonderful website, very informative and helpful. So about 16 years ago I came into the possession of 2 model 8s, or so i thought. I got these from a friend who has "too many guns" ,and had recently got them from a local gun show in Cali , where i used to live. One in 35 Rem and one in 300 Sav. So I finally decided to start keeping track of the dates of mfg of my stuff and found this website. Long story short my 35 has a date of 1915, but the 300 has a receiver of 1912 and a barrel with a 1949 date code. They both have the older style stock with a pistol grip with the rounded knob. And Ive been shooting them with no problems. Is this possibly a conversion from someone who had an undesirable caliber and changed it or had the factory change it? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Hardrada55

Re: Havent heard of this any where

Post by Hardrada55 »

Over the years I've seen a couple of Model 8s that had been converted to .300 Savage. Most had "3" codes on the barrels after 1936, which indicate a factory repair after the time .300 Savage became available in the Model 81. My assumption.... is that most of these .300 Savage Model 8 rifles were modified by the factory from other, standard, Model 8 calibers. That is not to say that ALL .300 Savage Model 8s were done by Remington.
...the right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America..."
- Hubert H. Humphrey, "Gun" magazine, Feb. '60