tang sights/rear peep sights

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
R MARSHALL

tang sights/rear peep sights

Post by R MARSHALL »

Were they special order or stock? What brand peeps did Remington use?
jack1653

Re: tang sights/rear peep sights

Post by jack1653 »

Hey R Marshall,

I don't know if Remington had their own tang or rear peep sights. I know that customers could order rifles with the kind of sights you are referring to and the most common that I have seen on factory issued peep sights are the Lyman, Marables, Williams, and Redfield. It is my opinion that the customer would specify which brand they wanted and Remington would install it. Each of the brands I mention had several model from which they could choose. A customer could specify what type of aperture they wanted on the Lyman and Marables. I have several rifles that have the brands I mentioned that I believe came from the factory with the sight installed. Most good gunsmiths could install all of these brands with no difficulty.

We know that Remington installed some specific peep sights for customers like the FBI who specified the Lyman 41R for their rifles and theUS Army for the Trials rifle and the Krag 1898 sight for the FSMR.

Regards,

jack1653
81police

Post by 81police »

Great info Jack!

One other thing to note, there's really no way to know if a tang sight was factory installed or aftermarket. Unless you had one of these rifles still with original box and packaging which included a special sight, then yes. Otherwise it's guesswork.
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
R MARSHALL

Post by R MARSHALL »

Thanks guys. Trying to learn all the info I can.