9 Blasphemous New Guy Questions

Ask about your Model 8 & 81
MeesterMitch

9 Blasphemous New Guy Questions

Post by MeesterMitch »

Hello forum,

this is is my first post here after trolling for a while. I don't yet own an 8/81 but am trying hard to find a nice one in .300 Savage or in .35 Remington.

I have a few questions:

1) When looking to purchase an 81 what things should I verify are in good working order and what red flags should I avoid? I am fairly familiar with the action type as I rebuild and SBS'ed a Browning Light 12 last winter. (See a picture of it in my intro)

2) What sets of refurbishing/rebuilding can be done by an amateur and what steps cannot? The only thing I had help with on the A5 SBS was relocating the front bead and chopping the stock.

3) Where are the best places to acquire aftermarket replacement parts? Unlike an A5 Brownells doesn't seem to carry many 81 parts.

4) If I am not reloading my own ammo will any .300 Savage work or do I need to look for specific loads?

5) Is there a way to adjust/tune the action to the load like on an A5?

Here's where the odd ball questions start:

6) I shoot most of my guns a lot, (4-500 rounds per caliber monthly) is is there any way to change out to a caliber that is more readily available? Specifically: .357mag, .30 Carbine, 7.62x39...

7) Can the Kreiger magazine modification be done today? i.e. Are there any gunsmiths out there that can do it? Don't have to have the high cap mags but would just as soon avoid trying to shear my fingers off loading the gun from the top.

8) What about suppressing the rifle? I have a few .30 caliber cans that could work- however with the barrel being jacketed I don't know if I would thread the jacket or the barrel (probably not possible basted on schematics) and if doing so would endanger my cans. Cans are mounted on moving barrels (handguns)...

9) I know this is probably blasphemy, but is there any way to SBR a model 81? This I know is reaching but it worked REALLY well on my A5 and I like short, light, handy guns.

I like tinkering with my guns which is one thing that is drawing me to the Model 8/81. If no is the answer, fine, but I would like to know why. If the answer is maybe I am usually willing to try most things just to see sine "what's the worst that could happen?" Particularly if I have the guidance of those older and wiser. I enjoy pushing the envelope and developing my gunsmithing skills.

Thanks

-MM
81police

Re: 9 Blasphemous New Guy Questions

Post by 81police »

1) When looking to purchase an 81 what things should I verify are in good working order and what red flags should I avoid? I am fairly familiar with the action type as I rebuild and SBS'ed a Browning Light 12 last winter. (See a picture of it in my intro)
As with any other gun, obvious signs of abuse or excessive wear. Loose barrel jackets are something I would avoid.

2) What sets of refurbishing/rebuilding can be done by an amateur and what steps cannot? The only thing I had help with on the A5 SBS was relocating the front bead and chopping the stock.
You’d do well with hollow ground screw drivers, cup tip punches (if you want to preserve the condition), and a spanner wrench for the barrel nut (for barrel assembly takedown and checking barrel nut tightness periodically). These spanners are no longer being made so you’ll either have to make one or use a Winchester Winchoke wrench.

3) Where are the best places to acquire aftermarket replacement parts? Unlike an A5 Brownells doesn't seem to carry many 81 parts.
Most people acquire parts by looking on ebay or gunbroker, asking members on these forums, or purchasing a “parts gun” to rob from.

4) If I am not reloading my own ammo will any .300 Savage work or do I need to look for specific loads?
I’ve shot a variety of 300 Sav ammo in mine. I like 180gr soft points.

5) Is there a way to adjust/tune the action to the load like on an A5?
No

Here's where the odd ball questions start:

6) I shoot most of my guns a lot, (4-500 rounds per caliber monthly) is is there any way to change out to a caliber that is more readily available? Specifically: .357mag, .30 Carbine, 7.62x39...
Anything is possible, but not always cheap. A new barrel (with new threads cut for both the nut and extension) would have to be made. There’s also the unknown in regards to rifle cycling with changed pressures, bullet weights, etc.

7) Can the Kreiger magazine modification be done today? i.e. Are there any gunsmiths out there that can do it? Don't have to have the high cap mags but would just as soon avoid trying to shear my fingers off loading the gun from the top.
With money and time any competent gunsmith could match the work of a Krieger mag conversion. I do not know any gunsmiths who have done it however. Search for forum member curdog, he’s a savy 8/81 gunsmith.

8) What about suppressing the rifle? I have a few .30 caliber cans that could work- however with the barrel being jacketed I don't know if I would thread the jacket or the barrel (probably not possible basted on schematics) and if doing so would endanger my cans. Cans are mounted on moving barrels (handguns)...
I’ve thought about this before. It may be possible, but who knows if it would function. First a thread adapter would have to be made (since the thread sizes are different) and an extension so that the can protrudes far enough away from the jacket so it doesn’t recoil violently into the jacket (if mounted to the barrel itself). Also adding a can to the end of the muzzle adds a lot of weight to the reciprocating mass of a rifle that requires a specific range of mass for operation. If you used a light can, made of titanium or some alloy, like the Silencerco Omega, it may work. It may be more likely to work with a shortened barrel so the reciprocating mass is about the same as a standard length barrel. Perhaps it’s possible to modify the barrel jacket to accept the can there and allow the barrel to reciprocate normally.
I don’t know enough about suppressors to know how the captured gas and pressure inside the suppressor would affect the cycling of long recoil. What if this actually increased rearward barrel and bolt/bolt carrier speed? That wouldn’t be good!

9) I know this is probably blasphemy, but is there any way to SBR a model 81? This I know is reaching but it worked REALLY well on my A5 and I like short, light, handy guns.
There are several members here with custom made 17” Model 8’s and 81’s. I’ve seen one member curdog made and it looked factory. As far as an SBR, the only one I’ve seen is pictured below, it’s 14.5”
Attachments
sbr.jpg
sbr.jpg (281.62 KiB) Viewed 3047 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator