Great Model 8 Meet-Greet-Shootout VIDEO ***

Talk about things other than the Model 8's and 81's
81police

Great Model 8 Meet-Greet-Shootout VIDEO ***

Post by 81police »

It was such a pleasure to meet y'all. The time flew by and I left wishing I had spent more time talking rather than shooting. Such an awesome group of guys we have on here.

BIG THANK YOU to Jack1653 for hosting this event, all his preparations, setup, and generosity!!!!

Video below,
https://youtu.be/Q2qNaymY7eg
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Roger

Re: Great Model 8 Meet-Greet-Shootout VIDEO ***

Post by Roger »

Hey Cameron,
What a fun video!! Thank you for doing the work on it,so the rest of us can enjoy the fun too.
Great work,my friend.
Roger
Roger
raw4555@gmail.com
81police

Post by 81police »

Great work JACK1653 really!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Time well spent. Getting to meet and share ideas with other members was worth the miles I put on my Tahoe. Jack was in his element and deserves many thanks. Check out the video when we were all lined up shooting.....Jack caught me by surprise after clearing the jam on his Police gun and rattled off the rest of the 15 round magazine. Yep, I jumped and then backed up some. The muzzle blast on that one is LOUD.
Joe
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
81police

Post by 81police »

Haha Joe you were a little jumpy there! I bet that muzzle blast was intense, Jack was gettin down!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
Packmule

Post by Packmule »

Looks like y'all had a blast!

RSA Member
German Gun Collectors Association

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
jack1653

Post by jack1653 »

Hey Fellas,

What a great time we had. It went by too quickly but that is the case when you are having fun. As the oldest guy there, I can tell all of you that these youngsters were having a blast, literally. I saw some very outstanding shooting at some astonishing distances. When Mike hit the steel target at 184 yards with his model81 and it gave that distinctive "gong" sound, everybody was watching. We all new that this was no accident because he did it three times in a row. Wow. Several other members rang the steel target as well.

For those of you who attended, I so much appreciate the support for the event. I want to ask each of you to send me a PM and tell me what we can do next year to make it even better.

A special Thank You to Sarge756 who came in a day early to help me with last minute details. Joe is sure proud of his Ross and boy will it set you back. It was good to have Jim8008 keep the group laughing all during breakfast as he and the waitress had a lively interchange. And what about Phyrbird with his large caliber rifles and big straw hat. Carl, I will give you the recipe for the steak marinate. I think he went through half a hundred sweat towels. Carl brought a lot of things to show and tell. Mike brought a model 81# 22 that is the lowest number I have seen. Mike is a heck of a shooter and it was obvious from his accuracy with these springpoles.

81police was swamped with questions by all of us. What a wealth of knowledge about these rifles. Cameron stayed for another two days and was a tremendous help on Sunday with tear down and picking up targets. What a talent he is with the camera a film editing to put together an excellent video. I am sure he has some additional pictures that he will be posting. While he got the FSMR zeroed on the 5th shot, a loose barrel nut resulted in total frustration for the next two boxes of that very rare 25 caliber ammunition! It sure had three of us buffaloed on Sunday afternoon at the range.

There were several other non-member guests who attended the shoot on Saturday including some law enforcement officers, nephews and my son. If my count was correct, I think there were 25 people at the event on Saturday afternoon. Several of the guys shot clays both days. Next year we will have more shooters for the clay pigeons. I definitely will set up an area for the hand gun shooters to make it more efficient and lessen some of the wait time.

The animal target area did not get as much activity as I had hoped. This area required walking and the rain that flooded the area on Wednesday made it difficult to walk in some areas. I did take Mike in the club car and that Boy sure shot the heck out of them. He was darn near perfect and didn't need to know the yardage of the target. Cameron did not have any difficulty with the zip line target as you could see in his video. The handgun shooters enjoyed this moving target and the law enforcement shooters wore it out.

This brief summation of the event does not begin to convey how thrilled I was to have members come to the first Great 8 Event. I was happy to show my collection to all those who came to see it. I wish I could have spent more time with each of the attendees, but I had many things to do to keep the event moving smoothly. I can't say for sure how many shots were fired during the two days, but sometime in the future someone will find many pieces of brass and will swear there was a major battle in the area. I know one of my nephews fired more than 400 rounds.

Thanks again for giving me a very memorable weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed meeting some new friends and revisiting some who I had met before. We had no accidents or mishaps and people respected my decision to have no alcohol at the range. Everyone was very gracious to my wife and family members. There was no damage to property or equipment and I certainly appreciate the safety and care that exhibited by everyone who attended the event.

May God continue to bless each and everyone.

Kindest Personal Regards,

Jack
81police

Post by 81police »

I'm already looking forward to next year!
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator
jim8008

Post by jim8008 »

Me too. My only letdown was not being able to get grits on Saturday morning at the Spring Garden Restaurant.
So maybe next year we can eat there on Wednesday morning, i.e., the only day they serve grits. Thousands of
acres of corn ... and no grits. That ain't right.

Jack, Connie and the other family members that helped out were great hosts. The opportunity to visit with the
forum members was enlightening and beneficial. Lots of knowledge there.

So the field testing is over. You folks need to get up and go next year. Helluva party.
81police

Post by 81police »

On Sunday we managed to test out Jack's Full Stock Match reproduction rifle in 25-35 Rem. The Krag rear sight and repro tall front sight were not calibrated together correctly so the obvious elevation marks on the sight didn't correspond whatsoever. We used the adjustable aperture as pictured. We were able to get square at 25 yards but it all went downhill from there. We attempted to hit steel at 185 yards, but after many many subsequent shots, and moving into progressively closer and closer distances, and incorporating multiple shooters (one being a Marine), we couldn't hit that 12" plate. After the last round was fired in frustration and confusion, I was carrying the rifle off and felt the muzzle end just to see how much heat was built up. To my dismay I could turn the barrel nut by hand. It was already backed out at least a full turn. To all you 8 and 81 lovers, learn from our rookie mistakes. Always check your takedown screw tightness and your barrel nut!

On the bright side, it was a gorgeous summer day, on a gorgeous piece of property, with a good friend, and despite the accuracy issues that 25 was a dream to shoot!
Attachments
MG950019.jpg
MG950019.jpg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 8564 times
IMG_20160731_160020475.jpg
IMG_20160731_160020475.jpg (366.34 KiB) Viewed 8564 times
Cam Woodall
Site Co-Administrator