Lines on an aperature rear sight

Posts about the Model 8
flanman

Lines on an aperature rear sight

Post by flanman »

OK friend of mine at the gunshop took an aperature rear sight off a Model 8 he ahs for sale and gave it to me for my Model 8. :D Just finished cleaing several decades worth of dirt and grim off of it and now I have a question about markings. With it well cleaned I can now see lines on the aperature that telescopes up. I assume these are distance markings but they are not labelled to tell me what distance each represents. :?: Also thought for several minutes that I might ahve broken it as a small aperature fell rearward while scrubbing but this appears to be part of the design. When would I use the large opening vs the narrow opening for sighting? :geek: Thanx in advance for the guidance. flanman
ikeda

Re: Lines on an aperature rear sight

Post by ikeda »

The markings do not represent a specific measure of range. They are simply a reference. The sight could be used for several different calibers so no one calibration could represent a given range for a certain number of lines. Experiment with your particular caliber to see what adjustments are necessarry for 50 yds, 100 yds etc.
The small aperture opening should be used for target work, the large for hunting... larger field of view.
flanman

Re: Lines on an aperature rear sight

Post by flanman »

Thank you I will see what I can do for sighting it in with the wide and narrow opening and telescoping. Sounds like I might need several loooonnng days at the range and thus not be able to complete my honey do list :lol: flanman