Frozen take down bolt

Information on Malfunctions and Care of your Model 8 & 81
darrylta

Frozen take down bolt

Post by darrylta »

I have a model 81 Police gun that has a stuck take down bolt. Besides penetrating oil
and heat, does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Darryl
jim c 351

Re: Frozen take down bolt

Post by jim c 351 »

Darryl,
I would fire 15 shots rapid fire, give the take down bolt a sharp rap on the end with a lead mallet, put a crescent wrench on the locking bolt,(not the locking bolt lever) and give the wrench a rap with the lead mallet, all while the gun was still hot.
I require no fee for this advise.
Jim C
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

I concur, the levers can bend. I do recommend use of a heat gun Though. Some less intelligent smiths have been known to use thread locker on parts designed for disassembly. If you get the parts to 350d F it will soften a thread locker without any heat damage to metal.
Phyrbird
SOKY
darrylta

Post by darrylta »

That's what I thought as well. It's imperative that I get it taken down, since I have a prominent
case builder making a hard case that's velvet lined in the taken down mode. Much like the period
Swetnam shot gun cases. He hasn't started it yet, if all else fails, it will be made for the assembled gun.
I just thought with the ease of disassembly, it's logical the case be made for the taken down gun.
Thanks for the tips,
Darryl
curdog

Post by curdog »

The rifle needs to be able to be taken down for cleaning.
I use a good crescent wrench on the flats of the bolt. Make sure it's good and tight on the flats so you don't round the corners, and it will turn out.
About 8" is the right size.
Sarge756

Post by Sarge756 »

Since you mentioned that you were having a case made for your rifle it brought to mind another "cased" project that a senior member here completed awhile back. While not the norm it is a thing of beauty to behold and always worth a second look for us Model 8 fanatics. Enjoy !
Joe

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1898
".......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
darrylta

Post by darrylta »

Finally took some time to look at the bolt problem after thinking about it awhile.
It turned out to be a non event. With heat from a heat gun, liberal amounts of Gibb's
penetrating oil and a dozen light hammer taps using a wood dowel to not to mar the finish.
The key was to strike the bolt just above the base of the lever. A couple of taps, more
heat, more oil. After the third run... it broke free.
No signs of thread locker was present.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Darryl
Phyrbird

Post by Phyrbird »

OutStanding :!: :D
Glad it came loose, try a little moly or teflon grease to keep it free...
Carl
Phyrbird
SOKY